Problem distributing software (EHR) RRS feed

• Question

• We have an MSI that installs Electronic Health Records (EHR) software to a computer.  When I try to run it, it fails everytime.  I get error code 1603, but if I go look at my Event Viewer > Application logs, I see this:

Product: EHR Shortcut -- Error 1606. Could not access network location \\10.64.12.20\VueCentric\bin\VueCentric.exe.

Could this be that our SCCM account in that is running the install doesn't have access to this location?
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:46 PM

Answers

• Another possibility:
    Presuming \\10.64.12.20\vuecentric is the share, how about adding the group "Domain Computers" Read rights to that share, and then also Read/Execute NTFS rights to the files/folders in that location ? 

Presuming all of your clients are domain joined computers (not workgroup computers, or we have to deal with cross-domain or cross-forest security), that would mean that SYSTEM would have rights to access \\10.64.12.20\VueCentric\bin\VueCentric.exe.  It's worth trying anyway!

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:47 PM

All replies

• Not familiar with that program, but it appears that the error you are showing is valid.  Is that IP address some sort of central server? 

Those installs are going to run as the computer system account, which can really mess up trying to access a remote source other than the DP.  Is there a way to include that exe in the package perhaps?

Might help to turn on verbose logging in the msi installation as well - might give us a bit more information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300

Friday, August 21, 2009 7:07 PM
  • I should have mentioned, when I run it manually, it works fine.

I can turn on the logging.  I'd have to update the package though, right?
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Just the program properties....the clients will have to pull policies, but you won't have to re-distribute the package.

Manually running it means that it is running as your user account, which probably does have rights.  When SCCM runs it - it is running as the system account, which rarely has access outside of the actual machine.  If you choose not to "Run as Administrator" on the program, then it will run as the user which might have access to the share....if they aren't a local administrator, however - they might not be able to install the software.  How's that for a catch-22?
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:33 PM
  • Sounds fun!  Now, only a certain group of people would have that access...

How would I set that up?  Give "Read & Execute" rights to that folder to our user account?
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Another possibility:
    Presuming \\10.64.12.20\vuecentric is the share, how about adding the group "Domain Computers" Read rights to that share, and then also Read/Execute NTFS rights to the files/folders in that location ? 

Presuming all of your clients are domain joined computers (not workgroup computers, or we have to deal with cross-domain or cross-forest security), that would mean that SYSTEM would have rights to access \\10.64.12.20\VueCentric\bin\VueCentric.exe.  It's worth trying anyway!

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:47 PM