If you use a qualified gateway can you use any SIP trunking provider?? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using an NET UX2000 and wondered if that allowed us to pick a SIP trunking provider that wasn't on the UCOIP list??

http://lync2010tips.blogspot.com - ucottonk@hotmail.com - If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click 'Propose as answer'

Monday, July 2, 2012 7:00 AM

Answers

• Tom, i'd suggest having a brief chat to NET in your region, or NET Channel Partner. I can speak from experience in AU & NZ that we (NET) have yet to come across a SIP trunking provider that the UX will not support, and deliver functioning SIP trunks into Lync; and we test/validate with Lync as the communication platform behind the UX. Typically an insight into what the carrier is using in the core as their IMS/SIP platform, will allow for us/you to determine whether its a known entity or not.

Codec transcoding between Lync and SIP Trunking provider is really only one of many other reasons why the E-SBC architecture/design is important.

Maurizio.

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by tomcotton Friday, July 13, 2012 1:48 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 11:04 PM

All replies

• NET UX2000 is a certified Session Border Controller:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/gg131938.aspx#tab=5

You may need to license the SBC component, or it may require additional hardware resources... if you are looking to do codec transcoding.  (G.711 to G.729 for example.)  Compatibility would be up to the gateway vendor and your provider.  (And sufficient knowledge to configure the gateway as an SBC.)

Note that in many cases direct SIP will work with a non-certified provider, as long as they support SIP over TCP and G.711 codec.

Monday, July 2, 2012 1:33 PM
  • Hi Tom,

You _may_ be able to get SIP trunking working with vendors not on the list. Calls will usually connect no problem. HOWEVER -  in my experience it's little things like call transfer, MoH, mute / unmute, hold / unhold, etc that can go haywire with a non-supported trunk. It's true that having a UX2000 in the mix should allow you to mitigate some of those issues through configuration on the UX, but I'd verify with NET first that they support that vendor with the UX & Lync.

Regards,

Matt

Matt McGillen, PointBridge - https://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/mcgillen_matt/default.aspx

Monday, July 2, 2012 8:35 PM
  • Test, Test, Test. ;-)

Is there a specific reason for not selecting a certified SIP provider?

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public

Monday, July 2, 2012 9:06 PM
  • Tom, i'd suggest having a brief chat to NET in your region, or NET Channel Partner. I can speak from experience in AU & NZ that we (NET) have yet to come across a SIP trunking provider that the UX will not support, and deliver functioning SIP trunks into Lync; and we test/validate with Lync as the communication platform behind the UX. Typically an insight into what the carrier is using in the core as their IMS/SIP platform, will allow for us/you to determine whether its a known entity or not.

Codec transcoding between Lync and SIP Trunking provider is really only one of many other reasons why the E-SBC architecture/design is important.

Maurizio.

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by tomcotton Friday, July 13, 2012 1:48 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 11:04 PM
  • Thanks a lot I will check with them. I just didn;t want to get it all working, then 6 months down the line have an issue and for Microsoft to dismiss the call.

http://lync2010tips.blogspot.com - ucottonk@hotmail.com - If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click 'Propose as answer'

Friday, July 13, 2012 1:48 PM