none
MIM Service gets stuck in post processing => How to get alerts RRS feed

• Question

• We are part of a University. We have what we call as Census date for the Semester. On this Census date all applicants who did not get accepted into the University for the ongoing term are deleted. So, we have like 13,000 accounts coming for deletion into MIM twice a year on the Census Dates.

During this time the MIM Service hangs and needs to be restarted.  Is there a way to monitor the MIM Service is stuck i.e. there are more than 1000 requests stuck in post processing?

• Edited by Creados Wednesday, October 4, 2017 9:28 PM
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 9:12 PM

Answers

• There are performance counters for the FIM Service, and you could also issue a query for requests in the Post Processing state and see how many you get.

The bigger question I'd ask is why it is getting stuck. You probably have a workflow doing something less than ideal as this shouldn't happen.

Thanks,
    Brian

Consulting | Blog | AD Book

• Proposed as answer by Leo Erlandsson Friday, October 6, 2017 7:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Creados Monday, November 20, 2017 5:47 PM
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 4:23 PM
  • Thanks Brian,

We are running a powershell that adds people to a default group. Not an efficient way. However, the dsmod does not return cleanly and that causes the request to be stuck in post processing. However, changing the group management to be automated by MIM is not something we can do in a hasty manner.

At the moment I wrote a powershell to get the number of requests in post processing and am checking to see if  the number is greater than a certain threshold. It gives warnings (Sometimes false positives) but it alerts me just in case. And that has been helpful.

Grace and Peace,

Sylvester

Monday, November 20, 2017 5:47 PM

All replies

• There are performance counters for the FIM Service, and you could also issue a query for requests in the Post Processing state and see how many you get.

The bigger question I'd ask is why it is getting stuck. You probably have a workflow doing something less than ideal as this shouldn't happen.

Thanks,
    Brian

Consulting | Blog | AD Book

• Proposed as answer by Leo Erlandsson Friday, October 6, 2017 7:08 AM
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 4:23 PM
  • Thanks Brian,

We are running a powershell that adds people to a default group. Not an efficient way. However, the dsmod does not return cleanly and that causes the request to be stuck in post processing. However, changing the group management to be automated by MIM is not something we can do in a hasty manner.

At the moment I wrote a powershell to get the number of requests in post processing and am checking to see if  the number is greater than a certain threshold. It gives warnings (Sometimes false positives) but it alerts me just in case. And that has been helpful.

Grace and Peace,

Sylvester

Monday, November 20, 2017 5:47 PM