How does thumbnail generation work? RRS feed

• Question

• I hoping someone can confirm how the generation of the thumbs.db file works on network drives.  What I'm finding is the first time I access a directory with pictures the thumbs.db file is created, fine.  When a second user accesses this directory the thumbs.db file is updated and grows.  When the third user accesses the directory it gets updated again and grows some more.  The size with which the file grows doesn't seem to be consistent, sometimes by kilobytes, sometimes by megabytes.

What we're trying to do is limit the amount of network traffic that occurs when users view directories with large amounts the pictures.  We're wondering if we'd be better off disabling the thumbs.db generation altogether

Can anyone tell me why the file is growing and/or what exactly is stored in this file?

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows Explorer is fairly intellectual and enters the thumbnail mode automatically when the user views a directory with a large percentage of graphic and video files, Windows stores the images for thumbnail previews in cache memory so that it can redisplay the images quickly, based on understanding, when you view more files, it cost more space.

If you want to disable the thumbnail, you could refer to the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2025703?wa=wsignin1.0

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:53 AM
  • Hi,

I am just writing to check the status of this thread. Was the information provided in previous reply helpful to you? Do you have any further questions or concerns? Please feel free to let us know.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:59 AM
  • So does thumbs.db actually contain a small thumbnail picture of each picture in the directory?  If so, why does the thumbs.db grow when the second user looks at the pictures even though no files have changed since the first user looked at the directory, shouldn't it just load the thumbnails from thumbs.db?

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

What is the operation system of the file server and the client?

Best Regards

Scott Xie

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 1, 2013 5:10 AM
  • We're using Server 2008 R2 DataCenter and Windows 7 Enterprise

Friday, February 1, 2013 2:04 PM
  • Hi,

I could not reproduce the issue in my lab environment.

To such issue, it is not an efficient way to work in this community since we may need more resources. I’d like to suggest that you submit a service request to MS Professional tech support service so that a dedicated Support Professional can further assist with this request.

Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Best Regards

Scott Xie

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:01 AM