none
IE9 Wrong shortcut pinned to taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!

I know that there is a thread about to problems caused by installing IE9 during an OSD using WSUS and we did all the needed correction (slipstream IE9) so everything is fine for new computers.

My problem is for those who got the wrong version of the image. I have to correct the issue on their computer which mean that I need a way to either modify their shortcut on the taskbar or remove the pinned shortcut and create a new one for them.

If anyone could land me an hand on that one so I can correct the issues without having to do it manually on each and every computer.

Thank you!

Mat

• Edited by mdesjardins Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:19 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:18 PM

Answers

• Well, after a bit of chat with MS and playing with scripts to unpin, pin the correct shortcut for all users, IE 10 came out and the solution was to deploy that version to correct the issues.

Mathieu

• Marked as answer by mdesjardins Monday, August 26, 2013 3:00 PM
    Monday, August 26, 2013 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

modify the .website file for the Pinned site in your slipstream image with notepad and push it out again or see this reference ... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617162.aspx for configuring your Start menu and Taskbar icons with GPO.

the best way to maintain pinned intranet sites for users on a corporate domain is to maintain your own pinned site gallery... the developer documentation for this can be found here... http://www.buildmypinnedsite.com/ allowing users their own choice to use the pinned site feature or Favorite url files.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, January 11, 2013 3:27 AM
  • Thanks for your help but after reading my post again, it was a bit misleading.

I wasn't talking about the pinned web site on the IE shortcut but more about the IE shortcut itself.

My problem is that the shortcut point to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe.

The result is that the users are launching the 64 bits version of IE that don't have any plug-in installed on it.

I was looking for a way to correct the issue but there is nothing that can be done at the moment that I could find to change the shortcut or recreate it.

And by looking more at the issue, there is also a problem with Active Setup after IE is installed through WSUS.

Mat

Friday, January 11, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Well, after a bit of chat with MS and playing with scripts to unpin, pin the correct shortcut for all users, IE 10 came out and the solution was to deploy that version to correct the issues.

Mathieu

• Marked as answer by mdesjardins Monday, August 26, 2013 3:00 PM
    Monday, August 26, 2013 3:00 PM