none
Project Tracking RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Can a schedule from 15.02.11 to 14.08.12, duration of 547 days tracked as on 15.01.12, have a finish variance of 1389 days?

The above instance is for a schedule of my project. The schedule is tracked based on % complete. I am manually entering the % complete as on the status date. For me to report % complete is the percentage of quantity of that task being completed as on the status date.

Earlier the same schedule tracked a fortnight ago had a finish variance of 153 days as on 31.12.11.

Rohit

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:33 AM

Answers

• Rohit,

Pardon me for bumping in but I think this question is answered by Dale Howard's first response to this post:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com:80/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/2636fce5-d675-4bb3-b365-35ecd8aad9ca

John

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:21 PM

All replies

• Check teh value of the Baseline finish date. Variance is the difference so one of teh dates may well be awry.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Rod,

On saving as a Baseline and then inputting the values (%complete) why does the start / finish varies from baseline start / finish dates?

Rohit

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:56 AM
  • Rohit,

Pardon me for bumping in but I think this question is answered by Dale Howard's first response to this post:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com:80/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/2636fce5-d675-4bb3-b365-35ecd8aad9ca

John

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Hi,

John, thanks for the link provided.

After we save a schedule as a Baseline, start = Baseline Start & finish = Baseline finish.
    But for a schedule of mine as discussed above, after saving it as a Baseline and tracking it, I am getting the start = early start & finish = early finish values for the tasks that have not started & start = Actual start & finish = Actual finish for tasks that have started and completed.

I suppose that start = Baseline Start & finish = Baseline finish, should be constant as it is only a snapshot.

How can I be assured that the schedule I am saving as a Baseline is saved as one.

Rohit

• Edited by rak77 Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:34 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:32 AM