How to use Parent-Child Hierarchy in Scorecard? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have a Employee dimension which has typical Manager-Employee Relationship(Parent-Child Relationship). Let suppose we have 3 managers A, B and C. Under A there are 2 subordinates A1 and A2 similarly for B & C i.e. B1, B2 and C1, C2.

Now again under A1 there is one subordinate A11 and for A2 there is another subordinate A21...and so on.

In my dimension i have Manager-Employee hierarchy which represents this. I want this particular Hierarchy to be show on the Column Side along with the collopsable plus sign at each node(manager). I tried doing this by pulling the hierarchy on the column side but it asked me to SELECT MEMBERS and when i selected the members, it showed me everything in a list view without any collapsable plus sign.

Can this be achieved in PPS 2007?

If yes than please explain with a suitable example.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 3:26 PM

All replies

• Swapnil,

The best way to create the scorecard you are describing is to create a KPI for each member of the hierarchy, in the definition of the metric for each KPI, specify the data mappings with a dimensional filters that maps to the member in the hierarchy.  Once each KPI is created like this, you can control the grouping in the scorecard to arrange it like the hierarchy and achieve the expand and collapse signs that you would like to see.

For example, the Sales Rep dimension in the PDW sample database is a Parent-Child hierarchy.  Create a KPI that maps to the PDW data source for a metric.  In the Dimensional Data Source Mapping dialog box, under 'Select Measure', select the measure from the cube.  Under 'Select a Dimension', select the SalesRep.SalesRep hiearchy, and change the Default member from 'Default' to 'Worldwide Sales'.  In a blank scorecard, drag the new KPI onto Rows.  Repeat the process for the Global and Regional Account Team members of the hierarchy, then drag the two new KPI's onto the scorecard, select both KPI's, and then hit the 'Decrease Level' button on Edit tab.  This will give you a collapse sign next to Worldwide Sales.  Repeat this process for each member placing them appropriately under thier parent and decreasing the level to get the expand/collapse button.

This is the only way that I have found to do this.

Hope that helps,
    Shannon

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 11:09 PM
  • Dude,

I have 15000 employees in the hierarchy and if i will keep on doing so it will take atleast a month's time. Also what if when i will deploy this scorecard on the production server and some more employees are added later.

There should be some way to dynamically change the hierachy. isnt it?

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 3:25 PM
  • Can anyone throw some light on this subject?

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:51 PM