none
Schedule.aspx doesn't show navigation to project schedule, details, or site RRS feed

• Question

• I have struggled with this issue for a couple weeks now and cannot seem to figure out what is going on.

I have created a site "Project A" and given the group "Team Members (Project Web App Synchornized) access to the site, however whenever I sign on temporarily with a test account I've created and joined to the "Team Members" group, it will allow me to sign on to the main PWA page and then navigate to the "Projects.aspx" page...I see a test project I've created (I also added tasks and assigned them to my test user.

When I click on the "Project A" link from the Projects.aspx page however, it goes to a page that shows the schedule for the project I created, but the entire left hand navigation is gone. I don't understand why at least the "Project A Schedule", "Project A Project Details" and "Project Site" links don't show up. These all show up fine when I am signed on using my account (an admin account in PWA).

I get this must be some permission issue but for the life of me I cannot figure out what is going on.

Monday, May 5, 2014 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Which Project Server version are you using? In case you're using 2010 or 2013 version, your issue might be related to the Enterprise Project Types. Each EPT is associated to certain PDP which are the project detailed pages that you see in the left menu after clicking on a project in the project center. 

If your project A belongs to an EPT that just has the right PDP associated, you'll not see them for this project.

See reference below:

http://ntrajkovski.com/2012/06/26/enterprise-project-types-in-ms-project-server-2010/

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, May 5, 2014 5:05 PM
  • If it's the same project then EPT should be the same and since you mentioned the project name to be same in this case and you can see PDP's when you switch user for the same project, i must assume it has the correct EPT, in this case it seems to be more like a permission issue, However i have few clarifications on what you said

"I have created a site "Project A"

Have you created this site manually or was this created as part of project workspace, which is provisioned automatically when you create a project ?

"And given the group "Team Members (Project Web App Synchornized) access to the site"

How was the permission granted ? was it manual by adding the user to the site ?

While you are talking 2 aspects 1. adding user 2. not able to see project PDP's

I would suggest trying these steps, assuming default group permissions have not been changed >> add user to team member group(in Server settings >> Manage User [also can be done via group]) >> publish the project (to sync membership permission to site)  

Also you could try adding them to the Team Lead group and see if they are able to see the PDP's, make sure whatever group you are assigning him has the View Project permission 

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Monday, May 5, 2014 5:21 PM
  • Have you created this site manually or was this created as part of project workspace, which is provisioned automatically when you create a project?

If by "manually" you mean using the PWA web interface from the Projects page, then yes. From the home PWA page, I click "Projects" and then using the ribbon bar, create a new project. Entered all the tasks using the PWA web interface as well.

How was the permission granted ? was it manual by adding the user to the site ?

the user is a part of my AD synch, after I created the site, I used the "Build Team" link from the Projects tab in the ribbon bar. I added the user to the Team Members group by opening Site Settings and then adding to the group.

Monday, May 5, 2014 6:37 PM
  • Okay so for the first part its the correct way, you created project and the project workspace was provisioned

Now for the second part building team and assigning user are 2 different things, build team will make sure your team member gets read only access to the project site, however in project server world you should not add users using the site settings the correct way to add team member would be to assign him on a task and publish the project that would synchronize the permissions automatically for the resource to the workspace

However with the above description, i am a little confused wherein you are saying

"the user is a part of my AD synch, after I created the site, I used the "Build Team" link from the Projects tab in the ribbon bar. I added the user to the Team Members group by opening Site Settings and then adding to the group."

Which site settings are you referring to is it in the new project site that was created or is it the PWA root Site Settings ?

with project server security you donot need to add any user via site settings unless you want unique permissions, typically a user is granted permissions by navigating to Server Settings >> Manage user/Manage Group >> adding user to the respective group or add group to the respective user and upon save project server will automatically synchronize the permissions

You should read this Technet article which explains a great deal about project server security, now since there is a change in security model between 2010 vs 2013 not sure which you are using but you can switch this article to suit your version

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197571%28v=office.14%29.aspx

Monday, May 5, 2014 6:48 PM
  • Which site settings are you referring to is it in the new project site that was created or is it the PWA root Site Settings ?

When I click on "Project A" as admin, it takes me to the "Schedule: Project A" page. I have been clicking on "Site Settings from there, but it appears from the URL that is formed that it is just going to http://projectserver/PWA/_layouts/15/settings.aspx so its like its not taking me to settings specific for the Project A site I have created

I don't see how you can add someone to a task in a project unless they are added as a resource first...I just now created Project B as a test and created tasks and when I click Resource for a task, there are no names available. I don't understand when you say

"the correct way to add team member would be to assign him on a task and publish the project that would synchronize the permissions automatically for the resource to the workspace"

• Edited by jb61264 Monday, May 5, 2014 7:40 PM
    Monday, May 5, 2014 7:33 PM
  • That gives more insight now as i mentioned earlier you shouldn't be adding users directly within the PWA rather should be using Manage Users / Groups in Server settings which automatically synchronize user to the respective sites (including PWA) and if you add him to the Team member group the user should automatically sync to the team member group on the site settings sharepoint group, that's the way project server security works, now as i mentioned have you tried adding him to the Team Lead group apparently he should be able to see the relevant PDP pages(i am assuming by left hand side navigation link you are referring to PDP pages link) as longa s a user is in project server security group which has View projects permission he should be able to see the relevant PDP pages

Monday, May 5, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Ok, I am starting over. I have now created a "Project B" (from home PWA page, click "New" from "Projects" tab on ribbon bar and select "Enterprise Project"...give it name "Project B"...Project B now shows up in my "Project Center" page. I have added tasks and then "Publish"...so far I don't have any users as resource or anything for this project.
    Monday, May 5, 2014 7:49 PM
  • Keep us posted with details and we should be able to help you out, on a side note do read the security mechanism of project server its whole lot different than SharePoint and the TechNet article(in earlier thread) should give you sufficient understanding to manipulate the security  

Monday, May 5, 2014 8:27 PM
  • 
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:55 PM
  • Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:56 PM
  • I want to provide users in the Team Member group the ability to see the items above the line in the first images left hand navigation.

Currently, what I see from a user in that group is the second image.

At this point I have figured out how to get the "Projects.aspx" page to display the project for the test user in that group...but when I click on the "Project B" link...i get the second image...makes no sense to me why MS Project Server does this when I can go to the Project Site page and see those very items anyway.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:59 PM
  • Team members do not have that level of access. Do you want to give them Project manager permissions?

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, May 9, 2014 1:22 PM
  • I was hoping there was a way to modify the "Team Members" group just so it would show the links for the Project Site. It just doesn't seem very intuitive at all when I can create a project that creates a project site that my "team member" user can go to, but from the PWA site where users will enter timesheet information, they can't get back to the project site. Maybe I'm just not looking at things correctly
    Friday, May 9, 2014 4:20 PM
  • @jb61264

After reading through the entire thread, and after my own testing (on Project Online), I can confirm the behavior you are seeing with SharePoint Permissions Mode in my own instance.

The correct sequence to make the Project Site Available on all pages is this:

1. Create the project
    2. Add Team members via "Build Team"
    3. You have to add a task for the Team Member to see the Project Site link on the Schedule.aspx page.. and Publish the project.
    4. You (the PM) also has to "Share" the Project Site to the team member by navigating to the Project Site and clicking the Share button on top right corner.

If you do the above, the project site link will be visible on Schedule.aspx page in addition to other pages.

I have not tested this with project Server permission mode, but in that case, I presume you could tweak the permissions to suit your needs.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Friday, May 9, 2014 5:47 PM
  • Following Prasanna's excellent answer, I just want to emphasize the fact that the Sharepoint permission mode requires much more manual operation for administering access to project sites.

Unless you kept the default SharePoint permission mode on purpose and after concluding that this permission mode suits to your business needs, I'd suggest to switch to the Project Server permission mode.

See references bellow:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219510(v=office.15).aspx

http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.ca/2013/04/switch-to-projectserver-permission-mode.html

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-project-online-help/change-permission-management-in-project-online-HA103433509.aspx

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Friday, May 9, 2014 5:57 PM
  • thanks for sticking with me on this Prasanna,

i am running in project permission mode (as verified by the "Security" group appearing in the PWA Server Settings page...my observation is that when I create a new site "Project C" and then add members via "Build Team" that they are already then included as a part of the list of people who the project site is shared with. In other words, after I build the team, the members that were added already appear when I go to the "Share" link in the upper right.

I added new tasks to this project and assigned them to my testuser account. The tasks appear as they should when I am signed on to the other machine as this user but still I do not see the "Project Site" links appearing after click on the Project from the home PWA page...this makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:25 PM
  • Well...I have had a "break-through"...I finally figured out how to get the Project site menu to appear when clicking on the project link from the PWA home page. Turns out you have to go to the "Project" tab in the ribbon menu and select "Project Permissions" from there....then when I add "Team Members" and select "Open the project within Project Professional or Project Web App" and then all three of the "View..." selections as well...only then does the Project Site menu appear when I click on the project from the PWA home page.

I did try one by one to add the other permissions available on that same page but they didn't have any effect on the menu appearing...when I checked the first one "Open the project within...." it appeared...I then backtracked and unchecked "Edit and Save...." "Edit Project Summary...." and "Publish the project..." while leaving "Open the project within...." checked and the menu continued to appear so that is where I am leaving things. I believe I have resolved this finally....appreciate everyone's input.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:40 PM