Japanese signs impacting error message "The user does not have premission or the Object ID is not valid"? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have MDS 2012 installed and we always use Excel add-in to add/modify records. One of my Japanese users occationally gets the error message "The user does not have premission or the Object ID is not valid" when adding records.

We have done no changes to the users access, in fact we haven't done any changes or additions at all in the administration tool. A temporary solution has been that I as administrator add the records for the user for some time (no issues for me as administrator) and after some preiod, the user can add records to the enity again. I dont know what trigger that it works again.

After the user has gotten this error message, I as an administrator can open up the entity and see as many empty rows as the user has tried to add, including only automatically generated code, all other attributes/columns are empty.

Last time this happend we noticed that there were some issue with a column containing Japanese signs.
    On apply rules we got a error message refering to that column with japanese sign saying "Conversion failed when converting the nvarchar value "xxx" to data type int." The column is nvarchar/text field. We tried to add a value to the same column containing latin letters/text and we got the same error. Publishing after this gav us the error message "The user does not have premission or the Object ID is not valid". However, publishing all columns except the one containing Japanese signs was successful and modifying/adding the japanese text to the record as second step was also successful!

Does anyone have an idea what the problem can be?

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Sandra,
    Thank you for screenshot.
    -----
    I want to make it clear:
    Does  the error message "The user does not have premission or the Object ID is not valid" appear, 
    when a user input Japanese characters in the cell (column header = "FileName") in an Excel sheet?
    -----
    You wrote:
    I have MDS 2012 installed and we always use Excel add-in to add/modify records. One of my Japanese users occationally gets the error message "The user does not have premission or the Object ID is not valid" when adding records.
    -----
    According to your description, I suppose that Excel add-in publishes the error message.
    So you should consult the developer of the Excel add-in. 

Regards,
    Ashidacchi

Friday, October 21, 2016 9:41 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi FSandraF,

If you mean "Japanese Yen sign (currency mark)" as "Japanese signs", 
    they are shown like the above image in Japanese environment.
    They are shown as backslash in English environment.

# I mean by Japanese/English environment as Windows display language.

I know nothing about MSD, but I suppose a letter backslash is not supported by MSD as value in some columns or as Object ID.

# Japanese Yen sign is 0x5C in ASCII code, this is the same as backslash.

Regards,
    Ashidacchi
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 11:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Ashidacchi,

the column contain Japanese text, no yen symbol.

The strange thing is that it doesn't work when I publish the row with japanese text or latin text in that column, but if I publish the row without text this column first and then as a second step modify the record and add the japanese or latin text into that column and then publish - it works.

It complain about cannot convert to int, even if it is a text field both in Excel and in MDS database.

best regards,

Sandra

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:31 PM
  • Hi Sandra,

I have a question, request, and guess.

1. What the name of the column?  Is it "Object ID"?

2. Would you insert screenshots of an Excel sheet or DB form iwhere users input Japanese characters? 

If you cannot insert images on your post, please provide them via cloud storage such as DropBox or Onedrive.

3. I suppose your issue is caused by the application software that you and your user are using.
        When appending/adding a new record, the app. does some check whether input value could be changed to integer, and when modifying an existing record, it does not check anything about the column.
        If you agree with me, please consult a developer of the app.

# sorry my poor English.

Best regards,
    Ashidacchi

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 10:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Ashidacchi,

The column I refer to is not the Oject ID or Code field. It is a separately created column that we have chosen to call as FileName.

There are no business rules set to that column (I'm the creator and administrator of the entity). I'm starting to think that it is an excel default behaviour, it is a text field, however most of the lines have a number in this column, maybe Excel try to convert it to number because most of the previous records contain a number in this field. Do you know if this somehow can be controlled?

Best regards,

Sandra

Thursday, October 20, 2016 11:51 AM
  • Hi Sandra,

I'm a software developer. I'm afraid word/vocabulary/terminology between us may be different, far away.
    I still cannot understand where you input date(Japanese characters), in an Excel sheet, windows form, web page?? Could you provide a screenshot?

Regards,
    Ashidacchi
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 12:48 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

All data is maintained from Excel, attached is a print screen of one record.

Thanks,

Sandra

Friday, October 21, 2016 7:28 AM
  • Hi Sandra,
    Thank you for screenshot.
    -----
    I want to make it clear:
    Does  the error message "The user does not have premission or the Object ID is not valid" appear, 
    when a user input Japanese characters in the cell (column header = "FileName") in an Excel sheet?
    -----
    You wrote:
    -----
    According to your description, I suppose that Excel add-in publishes the error message.
    So you should consult the developer of the Excel add-in. 

Regards,
    Ashidacchi

Friday, October 21, 2016 9:41 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Yes, the error message appear in excel when using the Master Data add-in.
    Next time the error happens I will ask the user to add the record from the webpage (http:/MDSServer/mds) and see if the same error message appear there. That might give me a hint on what causing this.

Right now it is working fine again, the user can add records with text in the FileName field from Excel Master Data add-in without any problems. We do not know what made it work again.

Regards,

Sandra

Friday, October 21, 2016 10:04 AM
  • Hi,

I've never heard about your system process, i.e. when and how users add/modify data.
    Anyway, I'm grad to hear the error message not seen, and hope it will not happen any more.

Regards,
    Hideki
    Friday, October 21, 2016 11:21 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I've never heard about your system process, i.e. when and how users add/modify data.
    Anyway, I'm grad to hear the error message not seen, and hope it will not happen any more.

Regards,
    Hideki

Ashidacchi, you are invited to join us as an Answerer:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/2011d7d9-2457-4e2e-9a0a-84e05508054d/needed-more-answerers?forum=sqlmds

Thank you for your contributions!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, December 19, 2016 5:54 PM