Pasting images into Word with original size? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to ask a question with MS Word.

If I paste a large picture into word,

1. Sometimes it is pasted as original size
    2. Sometimes it is automatically resized smaller to fit in the page

But (2) would cause the degradation of image quality such as become blurred. If I would like all image pasting to be in (1) regardless of image size, is there a way to configure Word to behave so?

Bob

Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Bob,

Yes of course there is a point at which any image when scaled down excessively will turn into a blob of ink.  I think it’s impossible to say exactly where that point is on any given image … there’s just too many factors including original size, dpi, color separation, shadows, etc.

Regarding output dpi … yes you can control it in Word > Options > Advanced > Image Size and Quality.  But remember, this is “output” quality and the old adage of garbage in/garbage out applies.

If you’re clipping images from a screen and pasting them directly into Word, you’re getting somewhere between 72 – 120 dpi images which is absolutely garbage for output printing, unless you scale them down.  If you want to use screen captures in printed documents, you need to capture them with a tool that will render the sample into a higher dpi (220 to 300) and create a proper image file that can be inserted into the document.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

• Marked as answer by Bob Sun Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:55 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

AFAIK Word will always attempt to scale an image to fit within the document margins and there isn't a method to override that behavior. 

However with that said, I'm having a hard time figuring out how an original image, assuming it has sufficent dpi definition for printing, would become blurred by scaling when inserted into a Word document.  Can you say more about how and when you are seeing that occur?

Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:06 AM
  • Images that get inserted at 100% do so because their width is small enough to be displayed at that size for the target output settings (typically 220dpi). Images that get scaled down do so because they would not fit within the margins at 100%. Scaling an image down typically increases its sharpness, which is the opposite of making it blurry.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:56 AM
  • Rich and macropod,

First, I don't think downsampling image always increases image sharpness. If you have a 60×60 image and you downsampling it to 15×15, you will lose details.

Second,

<quote>

Images that get inserted at 100% do so because their width is small enough to be displayed at that size for the target output settings (typically 220dpi).

</quote>

Could this dpi be changed?

Bob

Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:17 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Yes of course there is a point at which any image when scaled down excessively will turn into a blob of ink.  I think it’s impossible to say exactly where that point is on any given image … there’s just too many factors including original size, dpi, color separation, shadows, etc.

Regarding output dpi … yes you can control it in Word > Options > Advanced > Image Size and Quality.  But remember, this is “output” quality and the old adage of garbage in/garbage out applies.

If you’re clipping images from a screen and pasting them directly into Word, you’re getting somewhere between 72 – 120 dpi images which is absolutely garbage for output printing, unless you scale them down.  If you want to use screen captures in printed documents, you need to capture them with a tool that will render the sample into a higher dpi (220 to 300) and create a proper image file that can be inserted into the document.

• Marked as answer by Bob Sun Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:55 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Rich,

I will adjust the setting, thanks.

Bob

Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Marvelous, isn't it, that my saying that something typically happens invokes criticism because it doesn't always happen. Further more, you misrepresent the context, referring to downsampling, when I spoke of which was re-scaling downwards. These are entirely different methods, with entirely different outcomes. Please pay attention to what is said, instead of finding a straw man to attack.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Edited by macropodMVP Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:52 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:51 PM
  • I just wish there was a setting in Word 2010 to allow me to paste in an image that is pixel for pixel identical to the original.  It is very frustrating that, regardless of settings changes, I cannot get a pasted in image that contains text, not to look fuzzy on screen compared to the original.  I have tried all the settings in Options-->Advanced-->Image Size and Quality including the option to "Do not compress images in file."  Nothing I do seems to leave my source images unmolested.

The behavior I am seeing:

1. Screen capture image using Snagit
    2. CTRL-A CTRL-C to copy image
    3. CTRL-V to paste image into Word document
    4. Right click on newly pasted image and select "Format Picture"
    5. Select "Size" tab and observe that the item in question has been scaled to 59%
    6. Adjust the size of the pasted graphic to 100%
    7. Compare this with the original image still in the Snagit editor and note the blurriness in the Word version
    8. Create a new email in Outlook and paste (CTRL-V) this same image into the body of the email and observe that the same image pasted into Outlook email displays no blurriness and is scaled to 100%

Can we not get Word to have this behavior?

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Monday, March 31, 2014 2:57 PM