SCVMM Maintenance Mode Placement Rules and Cluster configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there.

Does anybody know how the SCVMM Maintenance Mode Live Migration is distributing the VMs in a multinode cluster environment?

We have a 4-node Hyper-V Cluster at a customer and configured the VMs precisly with "preferred Owners" and "antiaffinity class names" to regulate the fail-overs of VMs between the nodes in a failure scenario but it looks like that live-migration or live-migration via SCVMM during enabling maintenance mode for a host is completly ignoring these settings.

Is there a way to configure those kind of settings in SCVMM?

Thanks in advance

Olaf

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:40 PM move to appropriate forum (From:Hyper-V)
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:22 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately we don't consider the cluster settings u mentioned during enabling maintenance mode. Currently there is no way to configure these either.

Regards, Radhika - Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:50 PM

All replies

• Placing a host in Maintenance mode should do two things.

It should evacuate the host - choosing then next best node to run that workload and then migrate the workload to it.  The workload has to go somewhere.

It should prevent new VMs from being deployed (through SCVMM).

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:40 PM
  • Brian,

thanks for moving this thread to the right forum. It was my fault.....

I'm totally aware of what the mainance mode is doing.

What I want t know is how SCVMM is "calculating" the best node and how (hopefully) this works together with the cluster settings I mentioned.....

Thanks

Olaf

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Unfortunately we don't consider the cluster settings u mentioned during enabling maintenance mode. Currently there is no way to configure these either.

Regards, Radhika - Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:50 PM
  • Thanks for that bad answer ;-(

Is there any hope that this will come soon?

Olaf

Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:22 AM