none
Change Redirected Folders from local server to OneDrive for Business

Question

• Currently we redirect users' desktops, favorites, and documents to their home directory on a local file server, which is also their X drive mapping.

Any advice on how the redirected folders could be easily changed from the file server to their OneDrive for Business.  and i think if everything is in OneDrive that makes the X drive mapping moot since OneDrive shows as an option in Windows Explorer, right? 

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 2:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi RJO22,

>>Any advice on how the redirected folders could be easily changed from the file server to their OneDrive for Business. 

The following official article describes the detailed steps for this issue:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Redirect-known-folders-to-OneDrive-for-Business-e1b3963c-7c6c-4694-9f2f-fb8005d9ef12

Please refer to it and if you have any more issues, welcome feedback here.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Andy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 2:00 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Andy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 24, 2016 1:49 AM
  • That appears to have the info I need, have not implemented it to confirm but i'm sure that will do it based on what I read.

But when we do change that, will it automatically move their data from the current path it's relocated to to their OneDrive, or will that involve manual intervention?

Monday, October 24, 2016 1:05 PM
  • Hi RJ022,

sorry for the late reply.

>>But when we do change that, will it automatically move their data from the current path it's relocated to to their OneDrive, or will that involve manual intervention?

Please see the following description:

"Note that we do not support having existing content automatically migrated by group policy to the sync folder. (See the warning in the procedure below). With automatic file migration, there is a potential for data loss in cases where there are files in both locations that have matching filenames."

Best regards,

Andy

Monday, October 31, 2016 1:59 AM
  • Makes sense.  So what would be the recommended way to accomplish moving the content from the former redirected location to the new redirected location on OneDrive?
    Monday, October 31, 2016 2:17 PM
  • Hi  RJO22,

>>moving the content from the former redirected location to the new redirected location on OneDrive?

I have checked the GPO related settings, didn't find more useful info, so please try to ask on the OneDrive Forum to get more help.

Here is the link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onedrivefb?tab=Threads&auth=1

Best regards,

Andy

Tuesday, November 01, 2016 8:35 AM