Client error RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone shed any light on the below messages? There is no application 'M' as far as I am aware but MATLAB does have a .m file association. The first time I saw this I reinstalled the SoftGrid client as a basic fix (easiest option to do remotely for me). Then a colleague of the person reported the same error on another machine (fixed the same way). Now the first person has reported it breaking once again.

The software is used quite a lot so I'm not sure if it is something specific to these two machines. As I'm not sure what's causing it I'm not sure what to suggest to them currently....

[02/13/2008 11:16:24.392 INTF ERR] {tid=4E0}
    The SoftGrid Client has encountered a serious error.  All applications deployed through the SoftGrid client have been terminated.  Please stop the Client, copy the sftfs.etl file in the installation directory to a safe place, and contact Technical Support.

[02/13/2008 11:16:24.407 TRAY ERR] {tid=538:usr=****}
    The SoftGrid Client has encountered a serious error.
      Application M will be terminated.
    The administrator will need to restart the SoftGrid Client for any users to stream any applications.

[02/13/2008 11:17:22.980 SWAP ERR] {hap=FA:app=MATLAB 1:tid=4E0}
    Unable to shut app down (launch thread still going)

[02/14/2008 16:00:18.114 TRAY ERR] {tid=BC:usr=****}
    The SoftGrid Client could not launch MATLAB 1.An unexpected error occurred. Please report the following error code to your System Administrator.Error code: 410038-16D1300A-0000E01E

Rich
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:04 PM

Answers

• We have Sophos anti-virus here. The OSD trail went nowhere too as a local install shows the same sort of setup as the sequenced one.

I did occur to me whilst testing that the app was taking a long time to start streaming - 20-25 seconds before the bar moves. Using a combination of wireshark and process monitor I found that it's streaming the data to create the .MD, .BLD, .BM and .DO files in the local AppFS Storage folder and then stops streaming as it's too busy to accept more data. Need to get my hands on a broken client really to see if that has anything to do with anything...
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:00 AM

All replies

• Bumping my own thread but I now have four machines displaying this problem and a little more information. I went out to look at two of them and found that on a reboot, all other applications work as normal. However when you launch this one application you get the error and you have to restart the SoftGrid client to get anything to work again.

On both machines I reset the cache using the state reg key and this fixed the problem. I have now fully loaded and locked the application on both machines and I'm waiting to see if the error happens again. Interestingly when looking at one of the machines it showed the application at 0% in the cache (prior to me fixing it) although the person told me he had launched it once and used it with no problems but got the error on second launch.

I have copied the non-working sftfs.fsd file, .etl files and local GlblVol_sftfs_v1.pkg and  UsrVol_sftfs_v1.pkg files to my machine to test but MATLAB launched with no problem using those.

Am I right in thinking that 0000E*** errors relate to the cache and that's where I should be directing my attention?

I will probably log this with our support people but as the machines are being used by researchers I have to get them up and running so will be limited in the troubleshooting/data collection I can do (hence hoping for words of wisdom here). Smile

Thanks

Rich
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 10:12 AM
  • Check that your packages do not share identical root directory names and/or have identical package GUIDs. I cannot think any other sensible reason why events as you describe could happen (less of having physical filesystem level errors, which do cause all sort of grief to SG apps; run chkdsk /f and boot to fix).

/Kalle

Monday, March 10, 2008 11:37 AM
  • Oh and yes, that "M" application might be hidden app (no shortcuts but does have OSD) for which .m filetype has been associated. I have seen few of those with other applications.

/Kalle

Monday, March 10, 2008 11:38 AM
  • Ah, you might be on to something there. The app wasn't one that I sequenced so I went back and had a proper look. There are two OSDs for the program and both previously had shortcuts. One runs a pre-launch bat file which then launches the program whilst the other directly launches the program .exe. The .exe shortcut had no icon and appeared redundant so waaaay back I simply removed the shortcut but left the OSD active as I wan't sure what it was for (and didn't bother to investigate too much). Although this OSD isn't called M it is the one that has the .m file association.

Stil not sure why this might cause the problems I'm seeing (I'll look at your other suggestions but can't see that being  an issue) but it shows the package is a bit of a mess and needs sorting anyway.

As an aside is there any way to look into the .etl files from a client? That might give me a clue too.

Thanks for the help.

Rich
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:21 AM
  • Possibly not related.  "M" reminds me of an old AV issue (not related to SoftGrid).  I'm thinking it was a McAffeee thing?

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:27 AM
  • We have Sophos anti-virus here. The OSD trail went nowhere too as a local install shows the same sort of setup as the sequenced one.

I did occur to me whilst testing that the app was taking a long time to start streaming - 20-25 seconds before the bar moves. Using a combination of wireshark and process monitor I found that it's streaming the data to create the .MD, .BLD, .BM and .DO files in the local AppFS Storage folder and then stops streaming as it's too busy to accept more data. Need to get my hands on a broken client really to see if that has anything to do with anything...
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:00 AM
  • UoL Beta Team,

I'm also struggling with the same issue and do see .MD, .BLD, .BM and .DO files in the local AppFS Storage folder.

Was there any solid fix for this issue?

Thanks,

Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:01 PM
  • This is a few years late... I was having this issue with a users company laptop.  It appears to be related to Sophos.  I completely uninstalled Sophos, then un-installed and re-installed the SoftGrid client, and then re-installed Sophos again.  After that I was able to run SoftGrid applications without receiving errors...

• Proposed as answer by CVCS33 Friday, December 28, 2012 5:24 PM
    Friday, December 28, 2012 5:24 PM