SCE Alerts RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi there,

I wanted to understand the alerting side of SCE in more detail.  When there is a problem and alert is sent via email, text msg, pager etc....what hardware is it using and if those systems are down, how do I know that there is a problem.

I guess I just wanted to know more about Alerts with SCE in greater detail.

Thank You

Monday, August 18, 2008 6:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Shalrocks:

The notification channels from Essentials 2007 are a potential 'weak link' in letting you know of a problem. For example, the SMTP email alerting does depend on the SMTP server being online. If that server you specify is down, you won't get the alert.

Essentials 2007 SP1 has an additional feature that makes the E-mail notification channel more robust, specifically, you can specify multiple, fail-over SMTP servers.

As for the Instant Messaging (SIP) and Short Notification Service (SMS) notification channels, there are no redundant service features.

Good luck,

John Joyner

MVP-OM

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Shalrocks:

The notification channels from Essentials 2007 are a potential 'weak link' in letting you know of a problem. For example, the SMTP email alerting does depend on the SMTP server being online. If that server you specify is down, you won't get the alert.

Essentials 2007 SP1 has an additional feature that makes the E-mail notification channel more robust, specifically, you can specify multiple, fail-over SMTP servers.

As for the Instant Messaging (SIP) and Short Notification Service (SMS) notification channels, there are no redundant service features.

Good luck,

John Joyner

MVP-OM

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:29 PM
  • Thank you for the response and further clarity.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 6:03 PM