Type in the "active" window while aero peek or taskbar preview thumb shows another is not possible, any keypress closes the peek/preview.. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Together with "Ave Taskbar Thumbnail sizer" I had following VERY useful (but difficult to explain) effect in Vista:

Situation is:
    I have to type in text from one window (messagebox or temporary difficult password on screen as example) to another window (notepad or browser as example). Copy paste is not possible.
    The Window I have to type in is active, normally I would have to alt-tab several times to get exactely the text/password - with the preview thumb I can have the display of the messagebox with the password in foreground while my keyboard input actually goes to active notepad or browser, not a single alt-tab action needed.

In Win7 this is not possible, when I hover for the (too small) taskbar preview, the preview gets closed as soon as I hit a key on the keyboard.
    The same goes if aero peek shows the full real size window, as soon as I type a key the normal view is displayed.
    Is it possible to disable that a keypress ends the taskbar preview and aero peek, and make the input go to the (hidden behind aero peek) target application I have in foreground?

If the "preview thumb default size changeable" makes it into an update (max size should be above 1024x1024, or simply 100%), could this keyboard behaviour change too please? It adds a lot usability.

Set
    • Edited by Setsunaaa Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:54 PM fix type / grammar
    • Changed type Ronnie VernonMVP Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:47 AM Comment
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:36 PM

All replies

• Addendum:
    Translating text from one language to another was possible in Vista without dual monitor, the text-to-be-translated is viewed using the 1024x1024 thumbnail preview, the keyboard input goes to the target application.

I do translating texts german<->english regulary, and doing it that way in Vista was absolute top level of elegance, so aero peek / thumbnail preview (should be size adjustable) really should not close on pressing a key.

Set
    • Edited by Setsunaaa Monday, September 14, 2009 7:15 PM
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 2:52 PM
  • Disabling aero peek may make it easier to use.

Right mouse click on the small vertical bar at the very far right of the taskbar and select "Peek at desktop" to uncheck it.

Monday, September 14, 2009 3:05 AM
  • There is a mix up, I don't mean the full-desktop aero peek, I am talking about the full size preview window when you hover over the taskbar preview thumbnail - isn't that aero peek too or does it have a different marketing name?

Set
    Monday, September 14, 2009 6:23 PM
  • There is a mix up, I don't mean the full-desktop aero peek, I am talking about the full size preview window when you hover over the taskbar preview thumbnail - isn't that aero peek too or does it have a different marketing name?
    That is part of Aero Peek too, most people think Aero Peek is just the show desktop part.
    However the preview will disappear when you move the mouse away from the preview or press a key. This is normal operation for Aero Peek , your method of copying and pasting with Peek isn't going to work....

You need to use Aero Snap! (this is what MS designed this feature for!)

1: Drag the window with the info you need to copy to notepad with the mouse touch the extreme left edge of the screen. The window will show a preview that it will maximize to take up the left half of the screen. Release the mouse button and it does so.
    2: Do the same with Notepad, except drag it to the extreme right edge of the screen.
    3: Copy the info into Notepad!
    4: Once done, move the windows around and they will un-maximize back to their original state before the "snap".

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:28 PM
  • In Win7 this is not possible, when I hover for the (too small) taskbar preview, the preview gets closed as soon as I hit a key on the keyboard.
    The same goes if aero peek shows the full real size window, as soon as I type a key the normal view is displayed.
    Is it possible to disable that a keypress ends the taskbar preview and aero peek, and make the input go to the (hidden behind aero peek) target application I have in foreground?

When you hover over the thumbnail preview and don't wan't that window to dissapear just click on that preview or like I said disable aeropeak.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 11:40 PM
  • In Win7 this is not possible, when I hover for the (too small) taskbar preview, the preview gets closed as soon as I hit a key on the keyboard.

When you hover over the thumbnail preview and don't wan't that window to dissapear just click on that preview or like I said disable aeropeak.
    When I KLICK on it it is ACTIVE. But I only want to see it, and have another window active for my keyboard input - that is the whole point of the posting.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:10 AM
  • You need to use Aero Snap! (this is what MS designed this feature for!)

- JoelbX
    Thanks.
    That is a workaround for some of my situations.
    Unfortunately this doesn't work with password prompts and other non-resizeable windows, especially since I cannot aero-snap the browser window while the password box is blocking it's movement and is also blocking the view to the other windows which shows the temporary password. "Aero-Peek not closing preview Windows upon keypress" (except for Escape key of course) so my keyboard input goes to the other active application would be perfect.

Set
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:19 AM
  • Thanks.
    That is a workaround for some of my situations.
    Unfortunately this doesn't work with password prompts and other non-resizeable windows, especially since I cannot aero-snap the browser window while the password box is blocking it's movement and is also blocking the view to the other windows which shows the temporary password.
    Snap the browser window and the notepad before the password box appears and that will do the trick.

I have to ask: What activity are you doing that requires you to copy passwords manually because of disabled copy-and-paste? Is this something illegal? Are you just copying bugmenot.com passwords?
    Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    **Unofficial** Have Comments about Windows 7 RC - Part 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:01 PM
  • I have to ask: What activity are you doing that requires you to copy passwords manually because of disabled copy-and-paste? Is this something illegal? Are you just copying bugmenot.com passwords?
    That is rude, you are making very bad assumptions without prior checking. You should watch your words carefully, even if that was meant as joke. Besides I run Final Win7 ult, not RC, and it _is_ legal.

One case it is the F-Secure partner portal to download company-versions of the products. After logging in you ca go to the download portal, where you are given a temporary username and password. If you click on "download" you have to enter that password. It is simply because it has been abused too often with static passwords.
    Copy paste is not disabled, but typing off preview is much faster than 4*alt-tab + 2*copy-paste for each download.
    There are more examples like that.

For translating the full preview is still better than side by side with aero-snap, you have "side-scrolling h*ll" or "tiny font" when you snap the original and the target to the left and right.

Luckily this is my only _mayor_ issue with Win7. all other things are just "I like it or I don't like it" with no real arguments, aside from that one issue Win7 is a bit better than Vista, could be called "Vista SP2.5".

I could add some other examples where I'd like to use Aero Peek and want my keyboard input still go into the real active application - works well in Vista Thumbnail Preview at 1024x1024 size. Once you get used to that it is very difficult to let go such a good thing, it saves a lot of mouse-clicks and a lot of task switching, and since win7 is optimized to need less mouse clicks changing that would be real top.

Set
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:22 PM
  • I have to ask: What activity are you doing that requires you to copy passwords manually because of disabled copy-and-paste? Is this something illegal? Are you just copying bugmenot.com passwords?
    That is rude, you are making very bad assumptions without prior checking. You should watch your words carefully, even if that was meant as joke.

With how you worded your OP, this is what the question sounded like to me (doing something illegal), I figured there was probably a legit purpose to this but I just had clear this question up as it was driving me nuts.

I asked you very nicely about this, how that translated into rudeness went over my head. Sorry about the 'rudeness'.

"prior checking", Um, I think that is what I was doing with that post.

Luckily this is my only _mayor_ issue with Win7. all other things are just "I like it or I don't like it" with no real arguments, aside from that one issue Win7 is a bit better than Vista, could be called "Vista SP2.5".

I could add some other examples where I'd like to use Aero Peek and want my keyboard input still go into the real active application - works well in Vista Thumbnail Preview at 1024x1024 size. Once you get used to that it is very difficult to let go such a good thing, it saves a lot of mouse-clicks and a lot of task switching, and since win7 is optimized to need less mouse clicks changing that would be real top.
    Once again I don't think Aero Peek was designed for passing keyboard input through to the app, it just allows you to look at the app. This would be a nice feature to add in though, alothough if you typed something with peek on, how would you know which app the input went to? That would be a hard thing to figure out for the devs, but I suppose it could be done.

Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:19 PM
  • Once again I don't think Aero Peek was designed for passing keyboard input through to the app, it just allows you to look at the app.
    You still completely missunderstand what I am talking about.
    I do NOT want the keyboard input go to the PreviewedWithAeroPeekApplication.
    I WANT the keyboard input go to the REALLY active application (which is a window that is by that time hidden BEHIND Aero Peek preview).
    I do NOT want the Aero peek preview to close on the keypress, I want my keyboard input go to the active application behind Aero Peek and not to the Application previewed by Aero Peek.

That is what I had in Windows Vista with large taskbar preview thumbnails (with the help of Ave Thumbnail Sizer), that is the usability and mouseclick-saving and alt-tab-saving effect I miss.

Set

Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:28 PM
  • I understood your wants for aero peek a long time ago , that is just not how MS made it work!

Have you tried using your ave thumbnail sizer on win7 you keep mentioning? Does that help with your wants for aero peek?

Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:49 PM
  • Real world example I had just right now:
    One browser window to a an IDF2009 presentation, specifically this VERY interesting one:
    http://intelstudios.edgesuite.net/idf/2009/sf/ti/day1/ss/f.htm
    At about 50:30 to 51:00 a link is displayed for more information, going to:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/r2-management.aspx

It cannot be clicked, cannot be copy pasted, so in Win7 I open a new browser window (not tab), hover over the taskbar thumb of the presentation to get aero peek, then start typing of the link into the new browser window. If Aero peek would not close I could type it in in one go instead using aero peek several times. I really hope it will be configurable that aero peek does not close on keyboard inputs.
    Except for special keys like Alt-Tab, ESC, Winkey-Tab.
    It should not close the Peek on, as example, Ctrl+S which saves the document, with the exception the application has to generate a new Window to ask "hey, where to save it?".

I hope Ronnie Vernon still looks at this thread to see the only thing Vista (with Ave Thumbnail Sizer) had better than Windows 7.

Set
    • Edited by Setsunaaa Saturday, October 3, 2009 10:56 PM Typo
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Real world example I had just right now:
    One browser window to a an IDF2009 presentation, specifically this VERY interesting one:
    http://intelstudios.edgesuite.net/idf/2009/sf/ti/day1/ss/f.htm
    Um, nothing comes up and I cannot scroll down the page (but am on dial-up right now...)

- JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Skydrive | Cool 'gadget' programs: Download or Visit websites
    Stuff for win7 launch party hosts
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 11:07 PM
  • Currently all windows are "glassed out" to see the one in the background.
    100% perfect would be:
    The currently active window where the input gooes to should be visible behind the glass effect, all other windows do not need to be seen.

In an absolut perfect implementation it would be like this "haked together" screenshot which is not possible this way:

http://csb-filderstadt.homepage.t-online.de/Aero-peek-would-be-absolut-perfect-this-way.jpg

Please MS-Developers, implement this usefulness...

Set
    Friday, October 9, 2009 3:43 PM