wondering if a azure template (JSON) is just a file which points to an image where is it in the JSON? RRS feed

• Question

• wondering if a azure template (JSON) is just a file which points to an image.  Where would I find this specific reference in the JSON file?    does a JSON usually point to vhd or a iso?,... thinking it is a vhd.   

Templates in azure market I am assuming a JSON files so where is the vhd file that is used during deployment located?  Are they in a special folder?

dsk

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 5:37 AM

All replies

• An Azure Resource Manager template is a JSON formatted file. It does not necessarily point to any particular image - its role is to interact with Azure Resource Manager to implement whatever the template contains.

If you use a template to deploy an Azure VM, then the template would include a reference to either the generalized VM image or to a specialized VHD file.

Details at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/ps-template

hth
    Marcin

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 12:39 PM
  • Just want to confirm my understanding.

A template = JSON file?   

My understanding is a JSON file is used within ARM to deploy offerings like IaaS.

What section of a JSON file contains the reference to VDH file or generalized VM image?

The Azure store has templates for windows servers so I am wondering how can I see the image that the JSON files is using when a deployment occurs.   Is the image build into the specific template?

I am having questions connecting the JSON file using a generalized image,... is this image always a VHD? or is it  ISO?

What is the difference between a image, VHD,and  template?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/tutorial-custom-images    (uses "image")

dsk

• Edited by kimdav111 Wednesday, January 30, 2019 9:08 PM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2019 8:50 PM
  • Azure templates are JSON-formatted files.

They can be used to deploy variety of resources - both IaaS and PaaS.

Template can reference an image.

"storageProfile": { "imageReference": { "publisher": "MicrosoftWindowsServer", "offer": "WindowsServer", "sku": "2012-R2-Datacenter", "version": "latest" },

images are VHD files

hth
    Marcin

Thursday, January 31, 2019 12:00 AM