Configuration problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.
    I’m having a problem in WSUS.  I’m trying to get this fine tuned for a client.  But I’m not getting the desired results.

The desired results are getting updates for Windows 10 Version 1803 (x64 only).  Security and Critical updates.

What I’ve got selected for Products are: 
    “Windows 10 Dynamic Update”
    “Windows 10 GDR-DU”
    “Windows 10 version 1803 and Later Servicing Drivers”
    “Windows 10 version 1803 and Later Upgrade and Servicing Drivers”
    “Windows Defender”

I’ve got the product classifications chosen except “Drivers” and “Driver Sets”.

Now, when I synced today (9/11/2001 @ 2pm Phoenix AZ, USA) I didn’t get the following updates:
    “2018-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4457128)”
    “2018-09 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4456655)”

I did get the “Dynamic Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-bases Systems (KB4457128)”, along with all the Dynamic Cumulative Updates for Windows 10 Versions 1703 and 1709.  But I didn’t get a single “regular” Cumulative update.

My Windows Server 2016 updates come through perfectly.  Including the Adobe Flash Player updates.

So my questions are these:
    How can I set this up so I only get Windows 10 updates for Version 1803; and not get them for versions 1703 and 1709?
    How can I set this up so I can get the “regular” Cumulative updates (version 1803 only)?
    How can I also get the Adobe Flash Player updates for Windows 10 through WSUS?

Thank You
    Michael

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:13 AM

Answers

• Hello, 

How can I set this up so I only get Windows 10 updates for Version 1803; and not get them for versions 1703 and 1709?

You can't because they are under the same product - Windows 10 GDR-DU. There is not a filter to choose only one from them.

How can I set this up so I can get the “regular” Cumulative updates (version 1803 only)?

KB4457128 and KB4456655 is under product: Windows 10. You need select it in the Products.

Those updates are also under product: Windows 10

Hope my answer could help you.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:29 AM

All replies

• Hello, 

You can't because they are under the same product - Windows 10 GDR-DU. There is not a filter to choose only one from them.

KB4457128 and KB4456655 is under product: Windows 10. You need select it in the Products.

Those updates are also under product: Windows 10

Hope my answer could help you.

Best Regards,
    Ray

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:29 AM
  • Thanks Ray.  It technically works.  So you can close this ticket down.

It's far from an ideal situation.

My 2 clients that want Windows 10 updates through WSUS are only running the latest version, 1803.  They're very good about keeping versions up to date.  Downloading all the previous version updates are a waste of bandwidth to them.

I hope Microsoft fixes this issue in the next version of WSUS.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 5:14 PM
  • Thanks Ray.  It technically works.  So you can close this ticket down.

It's far from an ideal situation.

My 2 clients that want Windows 10 updates through WSUS are only running the latest version, 1803.  They're very good about keeping versions up to date.  Downloading all the previous version updates are a waste of bandwidth to them.

I hope Microsoft fixes this issue in the next version of WSUS.

Automatic approvals are the killer here. When setup correctly, WSUS works like a well-oiled machine. If you manually approve updates, it takes between 5-15 minutes a month and you don't have all of these issues. If you then perform the regular routine maintenance of WSUS, (declining superseded updates, removing Sync logs, running the Server Cleanup Wizard (SCW), running the SQL Indexing script to maintain the indexing of the database, etc.) WSUS purrs.

Check out my 8 part blog series on How to Setup, Manage, and Maintain WSUS

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-1-choosing-your-server-os/

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

• Edited by AJTek.caMVP Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:39 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:39 PM
  • A question Ray.

When an updated shows up in my Updates views, does it start downloading it if it isn't approved or does it wait until it's approved?

I've started reading your blog.  Good reading!  I'm still on it.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:58 PM
  • A question Ray.

When an updated shows up in my Updates views, does it start downloading it if it isn't approved or does it wait until it's approved?

I've started reading your blog.  Good reading!  I'm still on it.

It depends on your setup. The default is that it will only download once approved. Just make sure it's checked!

Image result for download approved updates

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:09 PM
  • Hello,

You are welcome.

Refer to AJ's reply, you could choose downloading them when they are approved (by default) or when they are sync to WSUS.

Also you could check the download status in WSUS console.

Hope my answer could help you and i would appreciate if you could mark them as answer if they are.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Thursday, September 13, 2018 12:44 AM