Scanning information into Word 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I was able to scan text into Word 2003 using Microsoft Office Document Scanning application that is with Microsoft Office 2003. I cannot find how to do that with later versions. How do I scan text into Word 2007 and 2010 versions?
    • Moved by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:16 AM (From:Office 2007 Planning and Deployment)
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

To scan a document in Microsoft Word 2003 and earlier versions, you inserted a scanned document directly from the scanner into Word by selecting "From Scanner or Camera" in the "Insert" menu. Microsoft Word 2007 no longer allows you to scan an object directly into a Word document. Instead, you must scan the document, convert it to a specific file type and use the Microsoft Office Document Imaging application to edit and manipulate the document in Word 2007.

Step 1:

Install the Microsoft Office Document Imaging application. Click "Start" and open "Control Panel." Select "Add/Remove Programs" in Windows XP or "Programs and Features" in Windows Vista. Select "Microsoft Office" and then click "Change." Choose "Add or Remove Features," open "Office Tools" and install Microsoft Document Imaging.
    Step 2:
    Copy the scanned document and paste it into a graphics program such as "Microsoft Paint." From the "File" menu, select "Save As" and change the "Save as Type" to a TIFF file. Close the graphics program.
    Step 3:
    Open Microsoft Document Imaging. Go to the "Start" menu, point to "All Programs," open "Microsoft Office" and then open "Microsoft Office Tools." Select "Microsoft Document Imaging."
    Step 4:
    Go to the "File" menu in Microsoft Document Imaging and select "Open." Click on the scanned document you saved as a TIFF file and click "Open."
    Step 5:

Go to the "Edit" menu and click on "Select All." Go to the "Tools" menu and click on "Send to Word." Make sure "All Pages" and "Maintain Pictures" are both selected and click "OK." The scanned document will be sent to Word 2007.

Hope it helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Friday, October 8, 2010 8:12 AM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:16 AM
  • See http://www.gmayor.com/scan_into_word_2007.htm

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Ian Read" wrote in message news:cbfd2e59-ae63-405d-8a0c-a53ce7749105@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I was able to scan text into Word 2003 using Microsoft Office Document Scanning application that is with Microsoft Office 2003. I cannot find how to do that with later versions. How do I scan text into Word 2007 and 2010 versions?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To scan a document in Microsoft Word 2003 and earlier versions, you inserted a scanned document directly from the scanner into Word by selecting "From Scanner or Camera" in the "Insert" menu. Microsoft Word 2007 no longer allows you to scan an object directly into a Word document. Instead, you must scan the document, convert it to a specific file type and use the Microsoft Office Document Imaging application to edit and manipulate the document in Word 2007.

Step 1:

Install the Microsoft Office Document Imaging application. Click "Start" and open "Control Panel." Select "Add/Remove Programs" in Windows XP or "Programs and Features" in Windows Vista. Select "Microsoft Office" and then click "Change." Choose "Add or Remove Features," open "Office Tools" and install Microsoft Document Imaging.
    Step 2:
    Copy the scanned document and paste it into a graphics program such as "Microsoft Paint." From the "File" menu, select "Save As" and change the "Save as Type" to a TIFF file. Close the graphics program.
    Step 3:
    Open Microsoft Document Imaging. Go to the "Start" menu, point to "All Programs," open "Microsoft Office" and then open "Microsoft Office Tools." Select "Microsoft Document Imaging."
    Step 4:
    Go to the "File" menu in Microsoft Document Imaging and select "Open." Click on the scanned document you saved as a TIFF file and click "Open."
    Step 5:

Go to the "Edit" menu and click on "Select All." Go to the "Tools" menu and click on "Send to Word." Make sure "All Pages" and "Maintain Pictures" are both selected and click "OK." The scanned document will be sent to Word 2007.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:16 AM
  • See http://www.gmayor.com/scan_into_word_2007.htm

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Ian Read" wrote in message news:cbfd2e59-ae63-405d-8a0c-a53ce7749105@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I was able to scan text into Word 2003 using Microsoft Office Document Scanning application that is with Microsoft Office 2003. I cannot find how to do that with later versions. How do I scan text into Word 2007 and 2010 versions?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:30 AM