none
IPAM Issue - Secret Key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone - I have question if anyone has run into this.
    I had working IPAM server before getting hit by Malware

I had to do a rebuild of the Server2012 R2, all updates - fresh install and I reconnected to the existing database fine (SQL). GPOs and Securities are correct.

Inside the management console I see all my servers and they are managed, connected except for a few DC's I had to rebuild

I get the following error when every I try to retrieve server data or change any of the values on the existing/new servers. there's no event log associated with it. what key is IPAM referring too?

Thanks!

"Failed to update server in database. Please see the details"
    "Secret Key for IPAM is unavailable. Operations cannot be performed until a new key is provided to IPAM"

• Edited by ErSatre Thursday, February 18, 2016 10:06 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2016 10:04 PM

Answers

• Hi ErSatre,

1.>>what key is IPAM referring too?

I only found it in[MS-IPAMM2] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn410481.aspx

IpamApiSecretKeyUnavailableOperationDenied

The secret key for IPAM is unavailable. Operations cannot be performed until a new key is provided to IPAM.

2.>>"Failed to update server in database. Please see the details"

Since you were getting hit by Malware. It could has been unexpect changed.

Try to change a password for SQL server, or you could build  a new database for IPAM, and test again.

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ErSatre Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:28 PM
    Friday, February 19, 2016 5:38 AM

All replies

• Hi ErSatre,

1.>>what key is IPAM referring too?

I only found it in[MS-IPAMM2] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn410481.aspx

IpamApiSecretKeyUnavailableOperationDenied

The secret key for IPAM is unavailable. Operations cannot be performed until a new key is provided to IPAM.

2.>>"Failed to update server in database. Please see the details"

Since you were getting hit by Malware. It could has been unexpect changed.

Try to change a password for SQL server, or you could build  a new database for IPAM, and test again.

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ErSatre Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:28 PM
    Friday, February 19, 2016 5:38 AM
  • Thanks for the reply - I will give that shot and will update on the result.

Friday, February 19, 2016 3:22 PM
  • Hi Cartman - rebuilding the SQL database and doing a clean feature uninstall was the solution.

Thank you for your assistance.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:28 PM
  • Actually, a non-destructive solution in case anyone runs into this in the future is to

- Open PowerShell as an Administrator

- run the following   

Set-IpamConfiguration -RefreshHmacKey

- Answer Yes to the prompt to end any running tasks.

15 hours 45 minutes ago