Outlook 365 - Crashing when using Auto Complete RRS feed

• Question

• As the title says, I am having a very annoying issue where Outlook will crash ONLY when I use the suggested name(s) in an email. At first it started off by not allowing me to add more than 1 person to an email. Then It progressed to not being able to CC people. Now it just wont let me add people all together. I have to manually type out each address and click away when I am done. If outlook changes it to that persons name AT ALL, it crashes. No error code or anything, just straight up closes.

Here is everything I have done to try to fix this problem, maybe someone else can offer me some advice?

1. The classic. Clear autocomplete cache and it fixes everything. Except, it didn't. Doesn't even seem to do anything honestly. As soon as I open Outlook again, all my suggested are there again. I would assume due to company shared Office 365.

2. Office Online "Repair Tool". I have used this twice. All this seems to do is uninstall and reinstall everything. Very big waste of time. Still have the same issue.

3. Another classic, Turning off all Add-ins. All are off, Doesn't do anything.

4. Using another computer. This works, But not the solution I need.

5. Removing the profile and re-adding it. Nothing.

6. Using outlook on the web-based Office 365 portal. This works, But shockingly doesn't offer me much in terms of actually fixing outlook on my laptop.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have scoured the internet and have only found 2 subjects on the matter. One on reddit, another on some tech site. Both did not offer any solutions. Thank you all.

Monday, February 17, 2020 9:39 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

What's the version of your Outlook 365? (File > Office Account > About Outlook). Please make sure you have upgraded your Outlook to the latest version.

>>Clear autocomplete cache and it fixes everything. Except, it didn't. Doesn't even seem to do anything honestly.
    How do you clear autocomplete cache? Please refer to the following steps to check if your operation is correct:

1. Please try to empty the AutoComplete List via File > Options > Mail > Send messages > Empty AutoComplete List.
    2. It is suggested for you to simply rename the RoamCache folder and Outlook will create a new one when you restart the Outlook client.
      Folder Location:   C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache

>> Using another computer. This works, But not the solution I need.
    It is suggested for you to compare the version number of the outlook client on these two computers and see if there is any difference.

Please try the following suggestions and see if it woks:

1. It is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.
    2. Errors with address book can also cause this problem. Please try to update your address book manually like below(On the Send/Receive tab in the Ribbon, click Send/Receive Groups, and then click Download Address Book. Click OK).
    3. Besides, you can also copy the Auto-Complete List from another computer as a workaround.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 8:52 AM
  • Tried everything as you said, to no avail.

I did make a little headway, maybe this can help. I uninstalled all offiice, and did a fresh download and install. Upon opening outlook for the FIRST time, everything worked properly. I could add names using the suggested without any problems. 

However, the NEXT time I opened it, It was back to the crashing problem again. So on a fresh install, outlook worked with no problems. 

I am on a company Microsoft Exchange account, if that helps any as well. The problem only occurs on my laptop. If I use another computer, it works just fine. 

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 3:27 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.

>> I uninstalled all office, and did a fresh download and install. Upon opening outlook for the FIRST time, everything worked properly. However, the NEXT time I opened it, It was back to the crashing problem again.
    According to your description, there may be applications in your computer which may corrupt your files related to the Outlook client. Please exit your antivirus software before repairing and reinstalling and see if there is any difference.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 20, 2020 9:17 AM
  • Hi ,

Have you got your issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you.

If you have any update about this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Friday, February 28, 2020 9:39 AM