none
Laptop slow logon while not connected to university network

Question

• Hello everyone,

I have searched the internet for the past few days looking for solutions however I haven't found any directly related to my problem.

I have the following problem. We (at the University of Technology Eindhoven) have a lot of laptops issued by the University, pre-installed and everything. They are by default connected to the local network. I have a HP Elitebook Workstation 8570W, installed with Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. When starting the laptop and logging in there is no problem, everything is fast and I am logged in, in just a few seconds. However, when I am not in range of the University's network, the logon seems to take ages and loading everything is taking a long time. This is very inconvenient sometimes especially when needing to quickly look something up.

I don't have any more details for the moment but if anyone can help, ask and I can probably provide the required information.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Jevin Bosman

Saturday, September 21, 2013 9:55 AM

Answers

• When you are outside university , try create an local admin account and observe login performance and also try to change your PC from domain to workgroup and check performance .

Take a look at:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/09/23/so-you-have-a-slow-logon-part-1.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/09/24/so-you-have-a-slow-logon-part-2.aspx

Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:08 AM
  • There are few things you can check to resolve this problem. Firstly – Do you know if you are running a roaming profile in your university?

(A “Roaming profile” is a user's unique profile that is automatically available when he or she logs on to any computer on the network. Users do not need to create a profile on each computer they use on a network)

Having said that, Please log on to your computer using “Safe Mode” – Quickly press F8 at start up to enter safe mode – Do you still experience slow logon ?

Update your Network Driver on the Laptop through “Device Manager” – Right click computer, click on “Manage”

Is this issue happening for All Laptop users in your University? Or just your Laptop.

Too many Logon Scripts could also cause this problem..

Regards

MassonTech

Monday, September 23, 2013 8:57 AM

All replies

• Are you part of domain network?

Does your PC become slow or your internet connection?

Saturday, September 21, 2013 10:12 AM
  • Thanks for your response.

Yes I am part of a domain network (the university's network).

Neither, only the logon is slow.

My internet connection is quite fast.

Saturday, September 21, 2013 11:01 AM
  • When you are outside university , try create an local admin account and observe login performance and also try to change your PC from domain to workgroup and check performance .

Take a look at:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/09/23/so-you-have-a-slow-logon-part-1.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/09/24/so-you-have-a-slow-logon-part-2.aspx

Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:08 AM
  • There are few things you can check to resolve this problem. Firstly – Do you know if you are running a roaming profile in your university?

(A “Roaming profile” is a user's unique profile that is automatically available when he or she logs on to any computer on the network. Users do not need to create a profile on each computer they use on a network)

Having said that, Please log on to your computer using “Safe Mode” – Quickly press F8 at start up to enter safe mode – Do you still experience slow logon ?

Update your Network Driver on the Laptop through “Device Manager” – Right click computer, click on “Manage”

Is this issue happening for All Laptop users in your University? Or just your Laptop.

Too many Logon Scripts could also cause this problem..

Regards

MassonTech

Monday, September 23, 2013 8:57 AM