none
Accelerator identity RRS feed

• Question

• How is the accelerator identity determined?

I have created two different accelerators, both in the same category, but with different names, descriptions and even homepageUrls. Nevertheless, if I install one and then want to install the other, IE allows me only to replace the previous one. I have even tried to install them from different urls. So what does IE make think they are the same and how can I install both?

Thanks,
    Jan

EDIT: When I assign them to different categories, they can be installed simultaneously (even if install and homepage urls are the same). However I believe generating random or unique category for each accelerator is not the intended usage, is it?

• Edited by Jan Kučera Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:05 AM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:01 AM

All replies

•  if I install one and then want to install the other, IE allows me only to replace the previous one.

Sounds like both are trying to be Default.  FWIW I would run ProcMon to see how the Default "Status" changes the state of an accelerator but I only have one of each, so I can't do that easily.  E.g. I don't want to experiment with the Remove as Default button on them, in case they get lost.   <eg>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Okay, that sounds reasonable, the question is then how can I add an accelerator without becoming the default one? There does not seem to be anything in the XML to suggest this. There is also no options available for the AddService method...

Thursday, October 9, 2014 8:12 AM
  • Okay, that sounds reasonable, the question is then how can I add an accelerator without becoming the default one?

I just found out by adding Google Maps.  Right-click, All accelerators>, Find more accelerators  Then when I chose Google Maps there was a check box which I ignored that would have let me make it my default for the Maps category.  When I came back and used right-click All accelerators, Manage accelerators  I found both Map with BING and Map with Google Maps listed there.  Clicking on Map with Google maps I see a button which would allow me to set it as a default.  It is that step which I am suggesting you might want to try tracing with ProcMon.  But now I would just suspect that in your case the UI is showing you a box which is already checked so then all you would need to do is uncheck it?   <eg>

BTW beware of using the Find more accelerators command in a page that you have already started typing in.  It gets opened in the same tab and your composition gets lost without any warning.  ; ]

So now I get to repeat the question that I had previously started typing.  What do you see in the Manage accelerators dialog?  I thought you were implying that you would only see one item for your category and wanted you to check that.  Now I'm even more doubtful of that although perhaps there is something else happening in that dialog that I haven't thought of.  Right-click on the column headers and make sure that everything is checked and choose a Sort and Group by ordering that helps you see whatever helps.  How about Group by Category and Sort by Name (which I imagine is the default)?  Do you see all of your accelerators that way regardless of their Status?

BTW I was tracing most of this with ProcMon and it shows the new item got added in HKCU.  No sign of my other accelerators there which I will guess are all in HKLM somewhere.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Activities\Map\google.com

What a strange name "Activities".  I was expecting to see Accelerators.  Nevertheless all of the underlying details would make me assume that this is where the Map with Google maps accelerator originates.  Then the (Default) value with (value not set) would be consistent with it not being my default accelerator for this category.

This is weird.  I can not find the other accelerators.  I will save my trace and try to figure out more about this implementation later.  Maybe I will have to try tracing some more to make Google maps the default, e.g. to confirm my guess about that value in Activites\Map\google.com

FYI
    Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, October 9, 2014 5:59 PM
    Answerer