How to configure IE9 to silently decline all requests to install Adobe, etc. RRS feed

• Question

• I have no further desire for Adobe products.  I have redirected the adobe.com domain to localhost, however various websites attempt to install Adobe components, even when I decline them.  Only UAC stops Adobe from infesting my machine, and requires manual decline several times a day.

Is there a way to cause IE9 to automatically decline any and all attempts by websites to install Adobe or other third-party addons, without notification, and without my manual intervention?  Thanks!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Carl,

You could try to restrict through GPO:

1. located Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Security Feature;

2. configure "Restrict ActiveX Install" and "Restrict File Download" as Enabled;

Best regards,

Karen Hu

Friday, April 19, 2013 10:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Carl,

Turning on InPrivate Filtering in IE9 should stop common ad based Flash content from prompting to install Shockwave, but

only by disabling active scripting as well... some sites use javascript to test for the presence of Shockwave flash support and prompt to install it....

its how they have incorrectly programmed their websites.. see HBO.com

even disabling the Download and install signed/unsigned ActiveX controls security setting does not prevent all of the prompts.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:17 AM
  • Hi Carl,

You could try to restrict through GPO:

1. located Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Security Feature;

2. configure "Restrict ActiveX Install" and "Restrict File Download" as Enabled;

Best regards,

Karen Hu

Friday, April 19, 2013 10:11 AM