none
Ppt corrupted / fonts changed / images swopped for no reason? RRS feed

• Question

• i swear this is the weirdest problem i've come across in my entire life. 

As mentioned in the title, I have many PPT files stored on my dropbox and these things happen randomly to a couple of my PPT files : 

1. They occasionally get corrupted and can't be opened at all. It's fortunate that I have 'dropsync' on my phone (in download mirror mode), so i keep a workable copy on my phone all the time.

2. the fonts change by themselves on some of the slides. e.g. it's supposed to be all TNR - then it randomly changes some of my paragraphs to my custom fonts. 

3. Some of the images in the PPT file are swopped from one file to another. 

This really sounds like a prank, but i'm very sure it isn't. I'm also quite sure my dropbox isn't hacked, because i checked the logs and there is no suspicious activity. Furthermore, i have 2FA activated. 

doesn't seem to be a virus too - i did a complete scan with NOD32 and didn't find anything at all. 

what's irritating is i cannot reproduce the problem; it happens intermittently. 

what should i do? :/ 
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

When you say corrupt in dropbox are you able to download a copy of the "corrupted" file and then try open it locally on your machine? does the same result happen?

Can you also test with a different browser?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

Are you opening PPT files directly form your dropbox with Office desktop application, or Office Online?

We should first narrow down the issue, determine if the files were corrupted on your dropbox or while opening in Office.

As <Ed> suggested above, what if you download a copy and open it locally? Also, try to test with another computer (with Office installed) and check result.

Regards,

Ethan Hua
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Friday, October 3, 2014 2:23 AM
  • That doesn't sound like the kind of thing that viruses/trojans normally do. And if you did have a file corrupting virus (like Virut or Sality) I'm pretty confident that NOD32 would detect it.

File corruption is usually caused by errors on the hard drive.

Have you tried running a full disk ckeck? 

And try:
    PowerPoint Recovery Toolbox fixes data corruption problems in PPTX and PPT presentations of any size.

For more information: http://www.powerpointrecoverytoolbox.com/

As you can look for the answer here: http://www.filerepairforum.com/forum/microsoft/microsoft-aa/powerpoint/239-corrupt-powerpoint-file
    • Marked as answer by CecilHod Friday, October 3, 2014 3:05 PM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 11:56 AM