none
Need help with Inconsistencies and Instability RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I have installed SteadyState onto 19 computers in my son's school's computer lab.  I have noticed that while I have given the same settings for each computer, the screen saver will appear on one computer and not another.  Or a different screen saver will be present even though another screen saver was selected.  Is there a reason for this inconsistency?

Secondly, I have been wary of making changes on the desktop in the user account because I have had multiple instances where I would remove the restrictions to make a few desktop changes, then after resetting the  restrictions, find that the account is no longer accessible or the settings didn't stick (thus, in either situation, required deletion of the guest account and recreation of the same account).  Is there a reason for this instability?  Is there a faster, more reliable way to suspend restrictions to make minor tweaks to the desktop, then re-establish those restrictions?

Thanks again for the help.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:51 PM

Answers

• CuriousD:

I had to experiment quite a bit with SS before fully implementing it at my public library.  This really had to be reliable as we have patrons that are very picky when it comes to computer use.  Basically, it seemed to me that I had similar problems and that the screensaver settings are profile specific. You have to unrestrict everything and unlock the profile, make the changes, then restrict again.  You may also need to give the profile admin rights temporarily.

Your second issue I may have encountered as well, with the application icons disappearing after setting restrictions.  I had to again, unlock the profile, unrestrict everything, then go to Programs--> and then right click the icon and Send to the desktop. Then lock it up again.  This is the only way it worked for me.

It all comes down to this...Set the profile as you need it, then launch all the applications to confirm licenses, initialization, etc., then lock the profile, restrict the settings, and it should work.  It requires tweaking, testing, etc.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Waggypup_99
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:47 AM