dvd burner issues RRS feed

• Question

• hi all here is a very frustrating problem

i have a sony vgn-nr21 at new the OS was vista premium 32 bit and everything worked perfectly

i have upgraded to win 7 ultimate 32 bit and the OS itself works like a dream 

but i have issues with the matshita 870 dvd drive 

it worked ok to start with burned and read all types of files 

recently it stopped burning on blank discs but burned on recorded discs i have tried all sorts of diagnostics 

and most recently a firmware update using a matshita winflash and matshita windump although this helped i burned 3 films and they work on another laptop and my ps3 my sony will not recognise them 

now after burning the 3 films i get error now saying wrong write speed although they are same discs DVD-R 16X

or it comes up with error need to update firmware .... dont want to do that after every 3 films 

please end my nightmare 

mick 

Friday, April 9, 2010 8:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Mick

I'm not sure what you would like us to do?

From your description, it sounds like you have already gone through all of the diagnostics and it also sounds like that DVD drive is getting ready to go where all good little DVD drives go when they die.

If the system is still under warranty, I would contact Sony support and request an RMA to get that drive replaced. Here is a link for your convenience.

Sony eSupport - Electronics - Main Page

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, April 9, 2010 8:51 AM
  • hi 

cheers for trying i thought it might be the case it was dying just thought i might have missed something 

at moment it is burning using windows at 2.5x every second attempt and they can be played on other laptop and ps3 and x box but not my laptop which can play shop bought dvd 

cheers again 

mick 

Saturday, April 10, 2010 8:12 AM
  • Mick -

I'm assuming then, you're not using Nero, Roxio or any other DVD burning tools - and are just using Windows native burning facility...

Have you tried any of these, or one of the many freeware burning tools (such as Imgburn)?

Saturday, April 10, 2010 9:15 AM
  • hi yes i am using the windows burning programme 

i have tried nero 9 and roxio neither recognised the disc in the drive 

also tried imgburn yesterday said i did not have recordable disc in drive 

have tried different media all the same i am using TDK DVD+R 1-16X 4.7GB AT MOMENT 

have to keep changing the write speed till it starts and only works on 2.5 although my drive is 24 x according to dvd decryptor 

cheers 

mick 

Saturday, April 10, 2010 10:25 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you refer to the following link and perform the troubleshooting steps manually to check the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

You may also update the BIOS to and chipset drivers check the issue.

If it does not work, I also recommend you contact your manufacturer to check the hardware issue for the optical drive.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, April 12, 2010 2:29 AM
  • hi yes i am using the windows burning programme 

i have tried nero 9 and roxio neither recognised the disc in the drive 

also tried imgburn yesterday said i did not have recordable disc in drive 

have tried different media all the same i am using TDK DVD+R 1-16X 4.7GB AT MOMENT 

have to keep changing the write speed till it starts and only works on 2.5 although my drive is 24 x according to dvd decryptor 

cheers 

mick 

Mick -

Well.... I'm going to have to go along with Ronnie on this one. It sounds like the drive may be on it's last leg (if it had any to begin with). If it can't recognize blank media and it WAS working fine previously, it sounds like a hardware issue.

Now then, how does it behave with previously burned media? Does it recognize the disk? Can it read a dvd you burned before things started misbehaving?

Monday, April 12, 2010 1:13 PM
  • hi 

yup  i guess its on last legs im looking at changing it is it a hard job changing a dvd drive in a laptop 

it was working fine before i upgraded to windows 7 

and it never recognised burned discs i did on here but only movies data is ok 

and i had a disc in drive and after about 3 hours it recognised the disc and i could play the movie ?????

mick

ps cd side of things are ok reads writes and replays no problem only the dvd side of things 

Monday, April 12, 2010 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

If you have another optical drive, I would like to suggest you replace it to test the issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:57 AM