none
Keyboard/mouse problems in Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have problems with no detected keyboard/mouse in Windows Embedded POSReady 2009. I have tried both PS2 and USB.

The keyboard is detected in BIOS and when installing OS, the numlock can be turned on/off all the time until the loginscreen for OS shows up.

The computer is from ICP Electronics INC. Model: EB-4800/ACE-916A and is a POS computer. Small/flat form.

Normally we use a PS2 split because there is 1 port out on the computer.

Any ideas why this does not work?

Regards,

Martin

Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:09 AM

Answers

• Dear  Berry:

Acconding to the Terry 's advice, I connect the PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse into the device prior to running setup . POSReady can detect the PS/2 keyboard/mouse.

Maybe the installation process only detect the component which is connected.  

My hardware platform : ATOM N270 .

Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:24 AM

All replies

• Martin,

WinPE is likely not telling us that there is a mouse present during the installation process.  Can navigate to Control Panel - Device Manager with the keyboard and scan for additional hardware once the installation is complete.  Another option is to use a USB hub and connect your usb keyboard and usb mouse into the hub prior to running setup.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Friday, August 26, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Dear Terry:

I also encounter this problem . Once the installation is complete , I find that the POSReady2009 can't detect the PS/2 keyboard or mouse.

It is not userful when installed the chipset driver.  I think the PS2 devices is the basic devices,  it is impossible to be detected in OS . Why? thansk ! 

Monday, August 29, 2011 7:34 AM
  • Terry,

The keyboard is not working. I have also tried a touch screen, but need drivers there as well.

USB hub is not helping out in this case..

Any more tips?

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:57 AM
  • Bruce and Martin,

We are looking into the issue, but it would be most helpful if you are an OEM to please open a support incident for this particular problem.  A support incident will allow us to dedicate resources to tracking down the a solution or workaround.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:27 PM
  • We have as-yet been unable to reproduce this issue. If you have any additional information that you can provide that you think might be relevant that would be useful. Bruce, can you provide more information about your hardware?

Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:33 AM
  • Terry,

I have a description about the HW in .pmq and .pdf for you.

Is it possible to send it over? E-mail?

/Martin

Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Dear  Berry:

Acconding to the Terry 's advice, I connect the PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse into the device prior to running setup . POSReady can detect the PS/2 keyboard/mouse.

Maybe the installation process only detect the component which is connected.  

My hardware platform : ATOM N270 .

Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:24 AM
  • Dear Terry:

How to open a support incident ?  We are a OEM company which produce Embedded board .

Thanks .

Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:27 AM
  • Bruce,

That is correct, the devices are detected during setup.  Are you installing POSReady 2009 to a physical hard drive or a USB storage device.  PnP is disabled by default when installing ot a USB storage device to prevent the USB boot stack from being overwritted my a non-bootable USB stack.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Bruce,

Since you are purchase your licenses through a Distributor you would work through that distributor to open your support incident.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Martin,

I am not sure the PMQ or PDF are necessary at this point.  We can approach that later if necessary.  I have a few questions that I need you to answer first.

1. Is POSReady 2009 the product you are installing?

2. Are your PS2 devices present on the system when you are going through setup for POSReady 2009? 

3. Are you installing to a physical hard drive (PATA, SATA) or are you installing to a USB storage device?

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Terry:

My POSReady 2009 is installed to a physical hard drive , no USB storage deice.

Thanks!

Friday, September 2, 2011 2:38 AM
  • Bruce,

In that case PnP should see that a new device is present if it was not present during setup.   You can go into Control Panel - Add Hardware and tell it to scan for new hardware. It should pick up the devices if they don't already have drivers installed. 

It is entirely possible that you are missing other drivers on this system in addition to the keyboard/mouse which is causing them to not be detected when they are plugged into the PS2 ports.  Please check Device Manager and make sure that you don't have any devices that are missing drivers.  They will show up with a yellow triangle with a red exclamation icon. There is also a possibility that the drivers for some components on your system are not included in POSReady 2009, which contains all of the XP Professional SP3 drivers.  You would need to obtain these additional drivers from your HW manfacturer or system board provider.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Friday, September 2, 2011 3:05 AM
  • Martin,

I am not sure the PMQ or PDF are necessary at this point.  We can approach that later if necessary.  I have a few questions that I need you to answer first.

1. Is POSReady 2009 the product you are installing?

2. Are your PS2 devices present on the system when you are going through setup for POSReady 2009? 

3. Are you installing to a physical hard drive (PATA, SATA) or are you installing to a USB storage device?

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Hi Terry

1. Yes

2. Yes, they work during setup, until the setup is finished and the logon screen shows up. I can not log in to windows at all.

3. Physical hard drive (IDE 2,5" disk")

Either USB or PS2 work.

/Martin

Friday, September 2, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Any solution to this?

I have installed XP Pro now (just for test), and then the keyboard/mouse works.

/Martin 

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Martin,

Are you also installing on an ATOM N270, the same system that Bruce is having difficulty with?

Would it be possible for you to open a support incident for this? We are not familiar with the problem and we have not been able to reproduce the issue inhouse.  The problem must be very specific to the hardware configuration. 

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Thursday, September 8, 2011 5:45 AM
  • No, I have problems to check CPU on this computer running XP (Get bluescreen when trying some hardware info applications)

But I found the motherboard POS370 and it support Pentium 3 / Celeron.

I have created a support incident now.

/Martin

Friday, September 9, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Any news in this case?

It has been quiet after i created the support incident. This is very important for us, and we are running out of time now.

/Martin

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Martin,

This forum does not have visibility into the support incidents, but it is the right direction for you to turn for assistance.  The support team does have goals around response times, so you should hear from then shortly.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Hello group,

I was reading this thread, and I also came to the conclusion that indeed there was Motherboard issue, but last week I bought a new Mobo (ASROCK G41M-S3), here is what we did:

- Installed XP SP3 and used for 2 days without issues, this using a PS/2 keyboard
    - Installed POSReady 2009, formating the unit, thus removing all traces of the XP installation. We used a PS/2 keyboard
    - Came to the logon screen and... nada, nothing, zip.
    - The PS/2 keyboard would not function on this generic motherboard
    - With the PS/2 keyboard, BIOS works fine, leds come on at boot, but will not come on at the logon screen
    - Played around with the BIOS and nothing with the PS/2 keyboard. The issue remains.

What changed for me in this installation? The only thing new is that we are using a system with DDR3 RAM, previously we had always worked with DDR2

We are using a USB Keyboard now, but I want to keep all the USB ports free for other devices.

What can we tweak on the OS to allow the PS/2?

Humberto

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:29 AM
  • Wow, this thread seems to have a life of its own. :)

Did the PS2 keyboard work throughout the WinPE and FBA phases of POSReady 2009 installation?

Make sure that you select "Additional Drivers" in the custom install branch of the setup wizard so that if POSReady 2009 needs to perform PnP during FBA or first boot it will be able to access the additional drivers resources.  It is entirely possible that the PS2 architecture on your particular motherboard is not being detected properly and drivers installed, but including the "Additional Drivers" optional component should resolve this issue.

If you are not installing to a USB Storage Device you should also be able to go into Control Panel and detect additional hardware.  Make sure that you have "Additional Drivers" optional component installed prior to this step so that the detection process can actually grab necessary drivers.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft 

Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:01 PM