Start Tiles Missing, Can't search much, can't change settings RRS feed

• Question

• I installed an update(not sure which update) on my Windows 8 machine. It said I needed to restart for changes to take effect so I agreed and restarted. Once the PC restarted I noticed that once I logged in and was at the start screen, all of my tiles were gone and my taskbar icons that were pinned were no longer pinned. Desktop icons remained. I tried to search for my apps and most of them do not show with the exception of cmd and a few other things. I tried to change pc settings or open anything up from the charms menu and it is locked like I don't have permission to access any of it. I have restarted to no avail. I can't do a restore because I cannot access settings. What is going on? What happened and how can I fix it? Also, I ran a virus scan and there is nothing affecting the computer at all.
    Monday, January 7, 2013 7:17 PM

Answers

• Once the PC restarted I noticed that once I logged in and was at the start screen, all of my tiles were gone and my taskbar icons that were pinned were no longer pinned.

See if your explorer.exe is running elevated.   I experimented with that once and this is the sort of effect it had, especially the Taskbar part.  I don't think I really checked the Start Screen then.   I suppose I could do it again if I had to.   ;  )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Proposed as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, January 25, 2013 8:35 AM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 8:32 PM