How to fix possible kernel memory leak? Playing USB audio via WASAPI using foobar2000 and foo_out_wasapi 2.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with long-term (few hours) playing of USB Audio when output is set to WASAPI in foobar2000, to a standard USB audio DAC.

I get errors, both in foobar, and outside at the main screen (e.g. bringing up Explorer, etc) such as "There are not enough resources available to complete the operation" (unsure about spelling but you guys know what it is), and similarly for "not enough storage".  Many control panel items fail to function, as do the tool to bring up the administrative logs. Exact failures aren't all the same but symptoms are similar.

It persists even after the foobar2000 process exists.  It persists even after physically unplugging the USB DAC.  Task Manager and Process Explorer do not show any large RAM process still running. It is bad enough that I am unable even to successfully do a clean log-out/restart via the start-orb, it hangs.  I have to do a full hard-power-off and reboot to clear.

Task Manager does run in this damaged mode.  I noticed that "kernel unpaged memory" was upto about 1300+ MB in this state which seems extremely high (computer has 2GB RAM total).  After the hard-reboot it is about 30.

It takes quite a while (e.g. overnight playing or more---I use it for background music, i'm an audiophile) to get this state, though if I stare at the number while playing foobar2000 it does go up one by one with nothing else running though it is slow.

Any idea how to fix this?  Is it a bug in the USB audio driver? It is the Microsoft standard USB driver not one supplied by the sound hardware manufacturer.

Hardware: Audinst HUD-MX1 USB audio DAC. Stock Microsoft USB audio driver.  In control-panel Sounds, allow WASAPI exclusive mode (needed for foobar2000 to work).

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:53 AM

Answers