Word 2013 triples key press and hangs RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Microsoft Word 2013 (15.0.4454.1504) MSO (15.0.4454.1504) 64-bit from Office Professional Plus installation on Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit.

When i'm typing in word 2013, at some point, one or two of my key presses generating three characters instead of one, then word hangs with 100% CPU usage. This can repeat every minute.

I have this issue on two different laptops, with completely different hardware.

What i has tried:

1. Disabling all add-ons in word.

2. Disabling all startup programs, anvitirus protection, etc.

3. Making a clean install of Windows, with only highly required software, like Visual Studio 2012, Visio, etc, excluding any system tools like antivirus.

4. I tried installing 32-bit version of Office 2013.

All with no luck.

At last i make a memory dump with procdump, it can be found on my skydrive http://sdrv.ms/XEiMwo (1Mb)

This is very annoying bug, may be any one can help me or say where to submit this?

• Edited by ASovetnikov Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:48 AM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:18 AM

All replies

• I'm trying to involve someone to further look at this issue.

BTW, is this only happen to Word 2013? Ever happened when working with the other programs or other version of Word?

Have you tried to start Word in safe mode?

Is there any macros might be in use?

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Saturday, March 2, 2013 8:52 AM
  • This occurs only in word 2013, no other programs involved, and i do not use any macros in my work.

Will try to work in safe mode.

Thank you for your attention to my problem.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:45 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have a general idea as to what keystrokes you might be pressing when the issue happens?

I can report the issue for you and attach the dmp file. I have it downloaded already. We do not get direct responses back from the reports, but I can watch it and see if there are any results from it.

Knowing the possible set of keystrokes being made could help.

Is this a laptop using the laptop keyboard or a desktop using a standard keyboard? If it is a laptop, I would be curious to know if plugging in a keyboard and using the keyboard causes the same issue.

Are there any additional languages or keyboards added under Control Panel or any enabled in Word?

Regards, Risa Microsoft Online Community Support Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, March 8, 2013 6:56 PM
    Answerer
  • Issue occurs on two laptops with built in keyboard and when typing in russian, i have english version of office and installed proofing tools for russian language.

Russian language also enabled in control panel regional settings.

Will try to get external keyboard and try with it.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:29 AM
  • Working in safe mode does not help ... key press trippled, then i pressed left button and it repeats forever - cursor moves to the top of the document and word hangs with 100% cpu usage.
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the update.

I am not quite sure what you mean when you say key press trippled and then left button. Could you explain a little more so that we can try to test to see if we get the same results?

Are you using these proofing tools?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30340

Thanks,

Regards, Risa Microsoft Online Community Support Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:38 PM
    Answerer
  • After my general issue occurs (three characters inserted by one key press) i press left arrow key (not on numpad), to go to previous character, and word repeats my last key press forever (not just three times).

I'm using release version of proofing tools for russian language http://www.microsoft.com/ru-ru/download/details.aspx?id=35400, not preview.

Friday, March 15, 2013 7:32 PM
  • Hello,

I wanted to give you an update on this. We have not been able to reproduce the issue. As I mentioned, I have submitted your dmp for review and I was looking to see if there was any information and they have not been able to tell anything or reproduce the issue either.

I know i keep asking about the keystrokes, you are using. Can you give me an example of what 3 keys you are pressing before you press the left arrow?

Thanks,

Monday, April 15, 2013 5:55 PM
    Answerer
  • I experience this issue also - last key to triple was jjj .

• Proposed as answer by achumakov Tuesday, June 11, 2019 7:31 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by achumakov Tuesday, June 11, 2019 7:31 PM
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 11:49 AM
  • Hi,

The same issue with my Word (1 Lenovo desktop and 3 notebooks - Lenovo T400; BBEN N14, Huawei MateBook X Pro 2018)

Prerequisites:

1) Windows with Cyrillic/Russian input method enabled (doesn't matter if Windows SP3 or Windows 10.0.17763.379), Enterprise/Professional doesn't matter, too, as well as UI language)

2) MS Word (doesn't matter if it's 2010, 2013, or current 16.0.4849.1000 32-bit English; Russian/English UI doesn't matter, too; default proofing tools)

3) The text should be bilingual (i.e. contain both Russian and English letters)

The devices have little in common (home/corporate infrastructure, different setup guys etc.)

Common are:

- the documents

- the following extra software:

uTorrent

Adobe Reader

Far Manager 3

Google Chrome

Mozilla Firefox

Keepass Password Safe 2.4x

Punto Switcher 4.2.6

XNView 2.40

Nevertheless, booting in safemode (both Word and Windows) doesn't help.

Steps to reproduce:

1) type very quickly, switching between Russian and English

2) PuntoSwitcher language automatic change could be disabled, as well as Punto in whole (don't matter)

3) first, some keys got tripled (like typing 'b' = 'bbb')

4) if after tripling you wait for some seconds, or use mouse to change location, Word does not hang, and you can even save a document; but tripling could reoccur later

5) if you use LEFT ARROW key or BACKSPACE (only these are confirmed to cause hanging) - Word behavior is as follows:

— it repeats the key last pressed (for LEFT ARROW - moves up to the beginning of the document; for BACKSPACE deletes all the characters up to the top)

—at some point, the stuck key processing hangs and this is why Word hangs (on screen you could see 'moving pen' sign of spell checking for some seconds until complete hang)

—you always have 50% chance to stop hanging if you press all the keys quickly and randomly (e.g. before some buffer overflow in Word keyboard handling routines becomes too severe). In that case, Word comes back alive, and inserts that random text to the document; you can then undo that safely, save, and even continue working)

—with Word 2016, there is about 1/4 chance that Word comes back alive in 1-2 minutes if the document is not too long.

So my observations are:

1) for some reason, either Word's buffer, or Windows keyboard stack used by Word only--does not remove last key read by Word (looks like the second poll occurs before removal routine)

2) if another key removal failure happens before Word calms down from previous one, it continues to interpret last key indefinitely (e.g. BACKSPACE or LEFT ARROW), and spellchecking/screen refresh background process do not allow it to break out the loop.

3) during that, Word is eating CPU (not to 100%, but one full core to be specific). If CPU is fast enough, there is a chance to break out.

4) if enough other keypresses happen during hang, they have chance to fit to the keyboard processing buffer, and Word unhangs (you definitely must strike all the keys at once equal to 500-1000 CPM to make it happen).

Extras:

1) it happens only when typing in bilingual (Russian/English) keyboard layout

2) you must type quickly to experience the bug (my speed is over 300 cpm)

3) PuntoSwitcher or other keyboard filters may be related to this Word bug, but this is definitely not their bug but Word bug (as disabling KBD filters does not alter Word behavior; and no other app hangs)

4) it could be related to a bug in Russian spell checker (turning spellchecking off completely DOES resolve the bug).

Please feel free to ask any questions, or give me some advice on what to diagnoze (I could use any tools you suggest; as well as things like Process Hacker to trace down to specific DLL or call).

-Alexey

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 7:58 PM
  • Updated that in https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ru-RU/abe53086-e01a-4c59-94c1-133ddbbcb184/word-is-tripling-keys-then-hangs-on-left-arrow-or-backspace-ruen-bilingual-environment?forum=word thread so it is new.
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:10 PM