none
Project 2016 - Sub-tasks reorganized after saving RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

After upgrading to Project Pro 2016 we are having an intermittent problem saving some .mpp files to a network share.  The end-user saves the file and exits the program.  When they re-open the file random sub-tasks are rearranged and relocated under different tasks and the file is worthless.  Is there a hot fix or patch that resolves this issue?

This problem is intermittent and started happening after the upgrade to 2016.  Prior to the upgrade we were using Project 2010 and saving to the same network share.

Thank you. 

Thursday, March 30, 2017 4:53 PM

All replies

• DavidMHI,

Is your version of Project fully updated? It should be at winproj version 16.0.4510.1000. If you have a subscription version of Project 2016 or Project Online, it is automatically updated through the subscription. If you have a MSI (stand alone installation from download or disk), then run Windows Update.

Being fully updated picks up all cumulative fixes that have been released.

John

Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:05 PM
  • Hi John,

Thank you for the reply.  Yes, Project is fully updated - 16.0.4510.1000.

David

Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:10 PM
  • David,

Okay. Unfortunately that's as much help as I can offer as I do not have Project 2016 and I do not use a network. Hopefully someone else will jump in with a suggestion.

John

Thursday, March 30, 2017 8:24 PM
  • I am going to just take a guess here and say that the problem is not with the upgrade to MSP2016 but rather the fault of your network. I have seen it before. If you are editing the file and there is any brief network interruption, the file will get scrambled. I always suggest copying the file from the network drive onto a local drive, edit it from there, save it, and then put it back on the network.

Have you considered copying as much of the tasks as you can and pasting them into a new file and re-building the plan? Yes, I know it hurts, but it may not be all that difficult, depending on how complicated it was and the sooner started the sooner finished. How many tasks? how complicated? how much progress recorded?
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 10:40 PM
  • Out of interest, are the Task Ids still in the correct order? If not, try sorting by Id and see what happens

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book and VBA developer.
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, March 31, 2017 2:22 AM
  • Hi Trevor, thanks for the reply.  We suspect the network connection as well, but the puzzling piece is that they have been using the files from the network for over 8 months without a problem (MS Project 2010).  The data scrambling became an issue after the upgrade to 2016.

Since the first scrambling we have several PMs that are now working with the files as you have suggested - working on the files locally and saving back to the network. They have not had the problem. 

Friday, March 31, 2017 2:53 PM