none
set the body format to HTML by default

Question

• HELLO

I find that when I reply a email in Plain Text format , the reply mail will be Plain Text format,too. But I usually need to insert the pictures so the body format should be HTML.  I have to change the format every time.

Is there any setting in outlook can make HTML format as the default body fomat for the emails so that I don't have to change them every time. Thanks

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 7:03 AM

Answers

• hi,

Maybe you can just change the body format of all incoming emails , so you will don't need to change the email format when reply them.

For that you can use a macro like this:

Public WithEvents objIncomingItems As Outlook.Items Private Sub Application_Startup() Set objIncomingItems = Outlook.Application.Session.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Items End Sub Private Sub objIncomingItems_ItemAdd(ByVal objItem As Object) Dim objMail As Outlook.MailItem If TypeOf objItem Is MailItem Then Set objMail = objItem 'Change all the body format of incoming emails to HTML 'You can change olFormatHTML to olFormatPlain or olFormatRichText as per your needs If objMail.BodyFormat <> olFormatHTML Then objMail.BodyFormat = olFormatHTML objMail.Save End If End If End Sub

All the incoming emails will be auto changed to the HTML format in this code.

More details, please see here:

https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/auto-change-body-format-incoming-emails-via-outlook-vba/

Hope it helps.

• Marked as answer by ZaidaBa Friday, May 12, 2017 1:35 AM
    • Edited by CNL777 Friday, May 12, 2017 1:53 AM
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:34 AM

All replies

• hi,

Maybe you can just change the body format of all incoming emails , so you will don't need to change the email format when reply them.

For that you can use a macro like this:

Public WithEvents objIncomingItems As Outlook.Items Private Sub Application_Startup() Set objIncomingItems = Outlook.Application.Session.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Items End Sub Private Sub objIncomingItems_ItemAdd(ByVal objItem As Object) Dim objMail As Outlook.MailItem If TypeOf objItem Is MailItem Then Set objMail = objItem 'Change all the body format of incoming emails to HTML 'You can change olFormatHTML to olFormatPlain or olFormatRichText as per your needs If objMail.BodyFormat <> olFormatHTML Then objMail.BodyFormat = olFormatHTML objMail.Save End If End If End Sub

All the incoming emails will be auto changed to the HTML format in this code.

More details, please see here:

https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/auto-change-body-format-incoming-emails-via-outlook-vba/

Hope it helps.

• Marked as answer by ZaidaBa Friday, May 12, 2017 1:35 AM
    • Edited by CNL777 Friday, May 12, 2017 1:53 AM
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:34 AM
  • Hi ZaidaBa,

As far as I know, Outlook will always reply and forward in the same format (Plain Text, Rich Text or HTML) of the original message. This is to keep the original message intact, maintain the preference or technical limitation of the original sender.

In this scenario, one workaround I can thinks of is that we may take the steps below to add a shortcut to the Quick Access Toolbar for HTML formatting:

1. Open an example mail, go to Reply/Reply All, right click the HTML option on the  Format tab, choose Add to Click Access Toolbar:

2. Click the shortcut when replying an email:

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 9:57 AM