none
Routing and Remote Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

I currently have this setup:

1 SBS 2007 Server running Exchange 2007 DCHP, DNS ,AD and Routing and Remote Access Service ( PPTP VPN) .

1 Windows Server 2012 running AD ( in the same Forest ) and Routing and Remote Access Service (PPTP VPN).

I have the following issues :

Sometimes when i connect to either server via PPTP i cannot access any other internal host besides the actual VPN server. 

Sometimes i cannot even connect to the VPN server .

I have tried several solutions and fixes but to no avail , i need some guidance. Could it be the DHCP server ?

What else should i check ?

Monday, January 2, 2017 8:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Kleanthis,

>>Could it be the DHCP server ?

Have you configured DHCP relay agent on VPN server?

>>Sometimes when i connect to either server via PPTP i cannot access any other internal host besides the actual VPN server. 

Have you tried to ping internal address when internal host could not be accessed? How about result?

Please try to disable IPv6 and try again.

Could you please provide details result of tracert internal address to here for further troubleshooting?

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

You can check Inbound Outbound Filters as well in Routing and Remote access console under IPv4 -> General -> "Local Area connection" or your interface name 

You have to remove if any port/service mention here and you no more required it.

Regards,
    Jebran.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 7:38 AM
  • Here is what i have :

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 11:21 AM
  • Hi Kleanthis,

When client could not access internal hosts, did it still connect to internet?

Have you found any event or log on local VPN server?

Best Regards

John

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 7:30 AM
  • Can connect to the internet no problem yes. Nothing of Interest in the event log.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

Double click on Ethernet and go to  Inbound and  Outbound filters if there remove if there is any port/service added.

Regard,

Jebran.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 8:58 AM
  • Inbound and Outbound Filters under Ethernet are both empty. 
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 9:03 AM
  • Hi Kleanthis,

Please try to run tracert command to check difference of hops between destination and Source.

Best Regards

John

• Edited by John Lii Thursday, January 5, 2017 9:52 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 9:51 AM
  • Im starting to suspect it might be a firewall issue and not a pptp issue . 

I have 2 locations setup within the company running checkpoint firewalls. Each firewall allows the other firewalls sub net to go through . Yesterday i connected to the pptp vpn and again i had the issue of only accessing the Remote Access server . I could connect on the 2nd network though directly running the other checkpoint. Could it be something with this ?

Monday, January 9, 2017 9:51 AM
  • Hi Kleanthis,

>>I could connect on the 2nd network though directly running the other checkpoint.

Did you mean that you could connect to 2nd network by VPN and it works well?

If yes, you could check if there are error events about VPN connection on firewall.

Best Regards

John

• Proposed as answer by John Lii Friday, January 20, 2017 2:37 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:13 AM
  • Hi Kleanthis,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards

John

Friday, January 20, 2017 2:37 AM
  • Still nothing . Haven't managed to find a solution to this . Doesn't look like its a firewall issue since an openvpn server works fine. 
    Friday, February 3, 2017 11:14 AM
  • Hi Kleanthis,

You could try to check configuration of local route table is correct on VPN, please ensure there is route entry exist from public network to private network.

when client could not connect to VPN server, please ensure connection is correct between VPN server and client.

When client could not connect to VPN, did it show any error message?

Best Regards

John

Monday, February 6, 2017 9:02 AM