WSUS and Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• In a workgroup environment, no domain, no group policy, cannot configure registry key on the client.

From my management machine I want to run a powershell script to download patches from a specific patch group in wsus onto this new machine and install the patches.

How can I achieve this with Powershell?
    How do I approve patches using powershell.

• Edited by teddybear88 Wednesday, March 25, 2015 4:02 AM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:54 AM

Answers

• Hi VicVmware,

In my expression, you want to download patches from WSUS server to a workgroup hasn't configured WSUS client.

We can approve patches on WSUS server with Powershell script in this thread:

Approve patches in WSUS by powershell

$updatescope = New-Object Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.UpdateScope
    $updatescope.FromCreationDate = [datetime]"3/13/2012 5:00:00 PM"
    $Group = $wsus.GetComputerTargetGroups() | where {$_.Name -eq 'TestGroup'}
    $wsus.GetUpdates($UpdateScope) | ForEach {
        Write-Host ("Approving {0} for {1}" -f $_.Title,$Group.Name) -Fore Green -Back Black
        $_.Approve('Install',$Group)
    }

However, if you haven't configured the WSUS client, it's also difficult to download patches from WSUS server via script.

In addition, for a workgroup you can try to manually download patches from here:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

If there is anything else regarding this issue, please feel free to post back.

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by AnnaWY Tuesday, April 7, 2015 10:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by AnnaWY Friday, April 10, 2015 6:52 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2015 6:30 AM

All replies