Why Do Folders Unpin Themselves? RRS feed

• Question

• For a while, I had several frequently used folders pinned to Windows Explorer, which is pinned to my taskbar.

A few days ago, I discovered that my folders were all unpinned and the only ones there were "frequent," none of which include folders I actually frequently use. I pinned several of them back to Windows Explorer, but just discovered that all of them have been unpinned and disappeared again.

This is ONLY happening with Windows Explorer. All other programs pinned to my taskbar (such as Word and Notepad) do not have this problem.

Why is this happening and how can I prevent this?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can only pin the folders in the jumping list of Windows Explorer in the Taskbar.

If you mean the pinned items in jumping list disappeared. Please clear the following registry keys and shotcut icons for a test.

File System:
    %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Registry:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband]

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, February 3, 2012 6:08 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can only pin the folders in the jumping list of Windows Explorer in the Taskbar.

If you mean the pinned items in jumping list disappeared. Please clear the following registry keys and shotcut icons for a test.

File System:
    %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Registry:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband]

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, February 3, 2012 6:08 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:30 AM
  • Hi Juke,

I have to do this every few days, even though the only changes I make to my pinned items is done in order to fix the mess that Windows makes of my settings. I can't understand how it can be this difficult for Windows to leave my settings alone.

Is there a permissions setting, perhaps, that I can use that will prevent Windows from being able to make changes to my pinned links, so that I don't have to keep clearing the above items and resetting my taskbar every few days?

The jump list is a nice feature, but with its unpredictability, it is virtually useless. I really think Microsoft can do better.

~Joe

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Hello,

I, too have discovered my pinned items on Windows Explorer jumping list have disappeared. Is there a way to prevent it? It seems Microsoft has had plenty of time to correct this issue, but I wonder if Microsoft even cares about it. It only happens to the jump list of Windows Explorer. Why is it happening and how can I fix it forever?

I am unable to clear the registry keys as I do not have administrative rights on my work computer. Please advise.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 3:20 PM