none
DPM 2010 Exchange 2003 Backup failed after data migration RRS feed

• Question

• As the title suggests, we have DPM 2010 with two NAS drive (1 old, 1 brand new) connected via iSCSI.

I have migrated data from 1 nas drive to the other as we were running out of space on old NAS.

post-recovery full backup completed successfully, but unable to complete an recovery point as it fail's after about 25% with the following error:

Affected area:   First Storage Group

Occurred since: 15/10/2011 6:10:03 PM

Description:        The replica of Storage group First Storage Group on server is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.

For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)

Data consistency verification check failed for LOGS of Storage group First Storage Group on server. (ID 30146 Details: Unknown error (0xfffffe0b) (0xFFFFFE0B))

More information

Recommended action:   Either the database files are corrupt or the proper versions of the Eseutil.exe and Ese.dll files are missing.

If you have recently upgraded your Exchange server, copy them from that server to the DPM server.Contact your Exchange server administrator, and then verify the issue. You can recover the last known good backup to address the corrupted state.

Synchronize with consistency check.

Run a synchronization job with consistency check...

Resolution:         To dismiss the alert, click below

Inactivate alert

I also get this error in the DPM server App logs:

eseutil (7724) The log file \\?\Volume{312b32b5-f48f-11e0-a42a-002264f2bcad}\4f0f57a1-9e56-45e7-863b-65c797897361\Logs\mdbdata\E0020B08.log is damaged, invalid, or inaccessible (error -501) and cannot be used. If this log file is required for recovery, a good copy of the log file will be needed for recovery to complete successfully.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

Now as I am writing this the Old NAS drive is down (and looks unrecoverable) so If I am reading the error logs correctly is eseutil looking for a log file located on the volume located on the old NAS drive?

If this is true and I cannot repair the old NAS drive will I have to delete the exchange protection group and recreate it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:10 PM

Answers

• Hi

During the migration process its importaint to let the DPM server de-allocate all the different volumes from the ols storage solution. If this isn't done correctley you run is to problems regarding missing volumes etc.

If your old NAS drive is dead, try this.

1. Modify the protection group, uncheck and check yourt Exchange Storage Groups. Click through the wizard and run a Consistensey Check.
    2. Close the console, open an elevated commandprompt, run DpmSync -ReallocateReplica to recreate missing or corrupted volumes (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634215.aspx)
    3. If nothing of the above works, whipe n' forget. Start over.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:00 PM