Office 2013 Volume License Activation question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we have software assurance, so MAK and KMS are available for O2013.

I cannot use KMS server (there are reasons for now). So I have to use MAK. I know that it is possible later on to convert MAK to KMS.

I found topic about ADBA. But missing few points from the description after my 2 questions.

1. Can I use KMS key for use with Volume Activation Tool without actually having KMS installed?

2.  at the end it says just 180 days activation. What will happen then?

http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/tip/Using-Active-Directory-activation-and-other-new-Office-2013-tools

-------Prior to Office 2013, IT had to rely on Multiple Activation Key (MAK) or Key Management Service (KMS) activation. These processes were generally more complex than ADBA. Little has changed with either MAK or KMS in Office 2013. With ADBA, however, IT can easily activate Office 2013 clients through their connections to the domain.

To implement ADBA, administrators must use the Volume Activation Tools utility, which walks them through the setup process. After admins supply the KMS host key, the setup process adds an activation object to the Active Directory Domain Services. The activation object uses the same Generic Volume Licenses Key (GVLK) and KMS host pair as that for regular KMS activation. When the client joins the domain, the activation object automatically activates the Office installation, granting a license to the client for 180 days. --------------

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Saturday, October 11, 2014 10:17 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I cannot use KMS server (there are reasons for now). So I have to use MAK. I know that it is possible later on to convert MAK to KMS.

I found topic about ADBA. But missing few points from the description after my 2 questions.

1. Can I use KMS key for use with Volume Activation Tool without actually having KMS installed?

http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/tip/Using-Active-Directory-activation-and-other-new-Office-2013-tools

-------Prior to Office 2013, IT had to rely on Multiple Activation Key (MAK) or Key Management Service (KMS) activation. These processes were generally more complex than ADBA. Little has changed with either MAK or KMS in Office 2013. With ADBA, however, IT can easily activate Office 2013 clients through their connections to the domain.

To implement ADBA, administrators must use the Volume Activation Tools utility, which walks them through the setup process. After admins supply the KMS host key, the setup process adds an activation object to the Active Directory Domain Services. The activation object uses the same Generic Volume Licenses Key (GVLK) and KMS host pair as that for regular KMS activation. When the client joins the domain, the activation object automatically activates the Office installation, granting a license to the client for 180 days. --------------

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Q1) there is a KMShost product key, and there is a KMSclient product key.
    The KMShost product key, you install this in your KMShost machine, and the client machines which have the KMSclient product key will contact your KMShost machine for activation.
    Volume Licensed products are provided by MSFT with the KMSclient product key already installed. The KMSclient product keys are also publically available in the TechNet library documentation.

VAMT can be used, with or without KMS installed. VAMT is not part of KMS, and, KMS is not part of VAMT.
    ADBA is not part of VAMT and VAMT is not part of ADBA.
    ADBA can only be used if your AD is at the later version, and, ADBA only works for the latest products like Windows8 and Office2013.
    If you have older AD or older products you will still need to have KMS or MAK.

Q2) after 180days, it's the same as KMS - the KMSclient (or ADBA client) will enter "non-genuine" mode if the client has not contacted ADBA object (or KMShost) to renew the activation status.

This wiki article I put together, includes a few helpful links about ADBA and KMS:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22510.volume-activation-kms-mak-adba-avma.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by pob579 Saturday, October 11, 2014 11:12 PM
    Saturday, October 11, 2014 10:40 PM
  • so if I understood correctly 2 pieces of ADBA Office 2013 activation puzzle should be:

1. AD functional Level 2012

2. Client OS W8 +  ?

1) No and Yes :)
    Schema 2012, not FL 2012

2) Yes

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn502534.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2013/02/04/active-directory-based-activation-vs-key-management-services.aspx

(these links are from the wiki article ;)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by pob579 Sunday, October 12, 2014 11:08 AM
    Saturday, October 11, 2014 11:46 PM
  • I have no problem with O2013 activation with MDT2012 deployment.

I need to activate my APPV O2013 deployment that works fine.

I didn't use userconfig.xml that comes with O2013 Appv package at all.

I use Office admx for config.

1. Is there an option in O2013 GPO for entering MAK?

2. is it correct syntax for O2013 MAK activation through userconfig.xml ?    :

<Configuration Product=”ProPlus”>

< PIDKEY Value=”PRODUCTKEY_INQUOTES_NODASHES” />
    < /Configuration>

Q1) No, you cannot configure a pkey via GPO.

Q2) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179195(v=office.15).aspx#ElementPIDKEY

You mention APPV O2013?
    Have you sequenced this yourself? Or are you using O365ProPlus ODT to create the App-V packages?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219426(v=office.15).aspx#BKMK_ProductElement

Don

• Marked as answer by pob579 Monday, October 13, 2014 12:33 PM
    Sunday, October 12, 2014 8:05 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Q1) there is a KMShost product key, and there is a KMSclient product key.
    The KMShost product key, you install this in your KMShost machine, and the client machines which have the KMSclient product key will contact your KMShost machine for activation.
    Volume Licensed products are provided by MSFT with the KMSclient product key already installed. The KMSclient product keys are also publically available in the TechNet library documentation.

VAMT can be used, with or without KMS installed. VAMT is not part of KMS, and, KMS is not part of VAMT.
    ADBA is not part of VAMT and VAMT is not part of ADBA.
    ADBA can only be used if your AD is at the later version, and, ADBA only works for the latest products like Windows8 and Office2013.
    If you have older AD or older products you will still need to have KMS or MAK.

Q2) after 180days, it's the same as KMS - the KMSclient (or ADBA client) will enter "non-genuine" mode if the client has not contacted ADBA object (or KMShost) to renew the activation status.

This wiki article I put together, includes a few helpful links about ADBA and KMS:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22510.volume-activation-kms-mak-adba-avma.aspx

Don

• Marked as answer by pob579 Saturday, October 11, 2014 11:12 PM
    Saturday, October 11, 2014 10:40 PM
  • Don,

first thanks for explanation.

>ADBA can only be used if your AD is at the later version, and, ADBA only works for the latest products like Windows8 and Office2013.

so if I understood correctly 2 pieces of ADBA Office 2013 activation puzzle should be:

2. Client OS W8 +  ?

Saturday, October 11, 2014 11:12 PM
  • so if I understood correctly 2 pieces of ADBA Office 2013 activation puzzle should be:

2. Client OS W8 +  ?

1) No and Yes :)
    Schema 2012, not FL 2012

2) Yes

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn502534.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2013/02/04/active-directory-based-activation-vs-key-management-services.aspx

(these links are from the wiki article ;)

Don

• Marked as answer by pob579 Sunday, October 12, 2014 11:08 AM
    Saturday, October 11, 2014 11:46 PM

< /Configuration>

Sunday, October 12, 2014 11:08 AM

< /Configuration>

Q1) No, you cannot configure a pkey via GPO.

Q2) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179195(v=office.15).aspx#ElementPIDKEY

You mention APPV O2013?
    Have you sequenced this yourself? Or are you using O365ProPlus ODT to create the App-V packages?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219426(v=office.15).aspx#BKMK_ProductElement

Don

• Marked as answer by pob579 Monday, October 13, 2014 12:33 PM
    Sunday, October 12, 2014 8:05 PM
  • Sure O2013 appv package is created using ODT. I know that )2013 sequencing is not supported.

And not make sence to use when ODT does great job.

Don, just deployed couple of new computers with O2013 Appv package. O2013  is activated. I guess the person who controls KMS just entered the key. KMS wasn't ready yet (no redundancy) so we didn't want to use it at this step. Sure that KMS is the way to go.

Thanks.

Monday, October 13, 2014 12:32 PM
  • -          Can we activate office 2013 pro plus volume license edition using VAMT 2.0

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:13 AM
  • -          Can we activate office 2013 pro plus volume license edition using VAMT 2.0

I don't know, since I haven't personally tried that.
    The answer does not seem to be formally documented in MSFT Technet Library.

In this discussion, one contributor states that VAMT 2.0 cannot, and must be upgraded to VAMT 3.
    http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/491513-vamt-2-0-and-office-2013-kms-activation

Don

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 7:34 AM