none
The "Import and export..." option for Cookies in Internet Explorer does not working RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use the "FSM Designer" application to create finite state machines. It's URL is:

http://madebyevan.com/fsm/

I know for sure that this application uses cookies to save the current Finite State Machine that I am working on it, because when I do refresh this page or I leave it and then later come back to it or return to it or restore it, I can continue working on my Finite State Machine where I left it off, but I want to save it to a file, so I can work on new Finite State Machine. If later I have new idea how can I improve my older Finite State Machine, I want to be able to load it. So my idea is to save the cookies of this site to some folder in my computer and then delete the current Finite State Machine, so I can start working on new one. If later I want to continue the work on that Finite State Machine, I will just restore the older cookies of this site. I see that in Internet Explorer there is the "Import and export..." option that allows you to export (save) cookies and import (load) cookies as text file (.txt) on my computer. Well I tried this option already, but it doesn't seems to work at all. In my experiment, I created two simple different Finite State Machines: Let's call each "FSM A" and "FSM B". At first I created "FSM A" and when I have finished working on it, I used the "Import and export..." option to export (save) current cookies of this site to a text file named "FSM A.txt". Then I deleted "FSM A" and created "FSM B" and then I used again the "Import and export..." option to import (load) "FSM A.txt". After that I expected after I refresh the current page, I will see "FSM B" disappears and "FSM A" returns, but this not happened, but instead after the refresh I still saw "FSM B". "FSM A" did not return. It seems that the import operation failed and did nothing, i.e. the cookies of "FSM B" remained and were not replaced by the cookies of "FSM A", but that's what should be happen. What's wrong with this option of internet explorer called "Import and export..."? It should be able to import and export cookies. Am I right?

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• in the debugger console, type   localStorage.fsm

Debugger console of windows or of this site? Debugger console of what? Where is this debugger console? What debugger console?
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 7:22 PM
  • Yes, that's what I mean.  The debugger in IE.  IE has a debugger.  It's built in.

While IE is open on a web page, you can launch the debugger by pressing the F12 key on your keyboard.  Or, you can click the gear icon in the upper right corner of the IE window, and select F12 Developer Tools from that menu.  Or, you can even right-click a blank region of the web page you're viewing, and select Inspect element from that menu.

But first, it's best to open the web page you want to examine.  The one you mentioned.  http://madebyevan.com/fsm/   Get that page on the screen.  In IE.

Then, press F12.  Or click the gear icon and choose the F12 Developer Tools option.  Or, you can right-click a blank region of the web page you're viewing, and select Inspect element from that menu.  Any one of these ways will do.  I'll leave the choice to you.

Now you will have the IE debugger opened.  It has a menu bar.  I'm sure you are familiar with the concept and appearance of menu bars, so I'll skip over a description of it, except to say it is the horizontal bar with separate words on it.  The English version of IE will have these words on the left side of the menu bar.  DOM Explorer   Console   Debugger  .... and so on.  These are commonly called tabs (plural), or a tab (individual).  You can click any of those tabs to open a sub-page.  Click the Console tab.

Finally, we are ready to perform the task.  But first, let's confirm this checklist.

1. Is IE open?
    2. Are we navigated to http://madebyevan.com/fsm/?
    3. Is the F12 debugger tool open?
    4. Are we on the Console tab?

If "yes" to all of these question, then proceed to this final step.  Click the bar at the bottom of the F12 debugger Console window.  Near the left side.  A cursor will begin blinking there.  Then

type   localStorage.fsm
    followed by the   Enter  key

Got it. Now I know what I have to do, but if I will do all this, then exporting (saving) and importing (loading) cookies for this site only will get to work then?
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:53 AM
  • localStorage is separate from cookies.  It is an alternative way for web progams to persist data for later use.  Your graphics on FSM is being saved, not in a cookie, but in that localStorage key.

Oh, so the claim/statement that this site saves my FSM in cookies is false, am I right? It does save my FSM, but in localStorage, not in cookies, so I should export (save) and import (load) localStorage rather than cookies. That's the point?
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:29 AM
  • yes.
    And where the localStorage is located in my computer?
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 5:45 PM
  • In File Explorer, navigate to this hidden folder

%userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStore\

You'll find a group of hidden folders with cryptic names WWXXYYZZ.

In one of them, you should be able to find  madebyevan[1].xml

So copying the madebyevan[1].xml to my desired directory and rename the file as myfsm.xml is the procedure to export (save) my finite state machine

and

copying myfsm.xml back to %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStore and rename it as madebyevan[1].xml is the procedure to import (load) my finite state machine.

Is that true/right?

Thursday, April 13, 2017 7:31 PM
  •  

there's only one way to find out.

What do you mean?
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 8:07 PM
  •  

It means, for somebody who has been posting into the SQL, VS, C++ and Win32 forums here for the past 4 years, I have confidence you will know what to do next.

You already know that I am a guy that has experience with computer science do you?

Thanks for your help very much. I am very appreciate it. I am grateful. It's been awhile since somebody really helped me so much. You are right. From here I will continue alone and do fine.

Friday, April 14, 2017 12:51 AM