none
New PWA Group not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Sorry OP was in wrong category,

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/f6529cad-dac1-4458-8ac4-f716ef5a76d8/new-pwa-group-not-working?forum=sharepointgeneral

Recently switched to ProjectServer Permission Mode.  I created a new group via PWA Settings ->Security -> Manage Groups.

However when I add a user to this group they get a "let us know why you need access to this site" message.  However if I add them to a default group (Team Members) the account can get access.

I am trying to make a 'view only' group.  The Global permissions I have assigned to the new group are:

view approvals

view projectcenter

view project schedule views

view task center

How do users get access to PWA when assigned to a new group?

Thanks for any information...

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:49 PM

Answers

• igibason --

Did you include a Category with this new Group?  You must include a Category to give users in the Group access to projects, resources, and views.  Once you add a Category, you will need to select the Category and then set permissions for the Category in the Category Permissions data grid.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by igibason Wednesday, August 16, 2017 3:24 PM
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:09 PM

All replies

• igibason --

Did you include a Category with this new Group?  You must include a Category to give users in the Group access to projects, resources, and views.  Once you add a Category, you will need to select the Category and then set permissions for the Category in the Category Permissions data grid.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by igibason Wednesday, August 16, 2017 3:24 PM
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:09 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for the reply.  Today I set a Category and set the permissions.

• View Project Schedule in Project Web App
    • View Project Site
    • View Project Summary in Project Center

In addition I set the following Global Permissions:

• Contribute to Project Web App
    • Log On
    • Manage Personal Notifications
    • View Approvals
    • View Project Center
    • View Project Schedule Views
    • View Task Center
    • View Timesheets

When my user navigates to the PWA site they can access it and view the projects and schedules.  However when they click into a project they are able to Edit Page and Edit Properties.  I find if I unchecked (or set to deny) Contribute to Project Web App the user cannot access PWA at all. 

My main goal is to create a 'view only' group and grant access via a security group to view status of all projects and timelines.  Is this possible?

Thanks again...

• Edited by igibason Wednesday, August 16, 2017 2:05 AM
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 1:58 AM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks again for you help and leading me down the correct path.  I ended up changing a few permissions to get a 'view only' group setup.

In my catagories I kept the same permisisons but added Open Project.

• Open Project - Added new
    • View Project Schedule in Project Web App
    • View Project Site
    • View Project Summary in Project Center

I also kept the Global permissions the same.

• Contribute to Project Web App
    • Log On
    • Manage Personal Notifications
    • View Approvals
    • View Project Center
    • View Project Schedule Views
    • View Task Center
    • View Timesheets

Now when I login with my test user it can only view project schedules an sites.

I would be interested to know if you or anyone else would use these settings to create a 'view only' group.

Thanks,
    Ian...

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 3:23 PM