programs won't load in vista as they did in XP RRS feed

• Question

• Why will most of my older programs not load in vista and will in XP? The vista compatibility doesn't work at all. All I get is an error message and to check with the software maker for updates, some of which have none, or if they do it will cost a fortune to replace. ie: Photoshop 5.0, Labels Unlimited 2.0, Etc. All these loaded fine in XP. 
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:56 PM

Answers

• Have you tried to run the programs in compatibility for Windows XP? (Right click on the .exe file, Properties, Compatibility, Check "Run this program in compatibility for Windows XP SP2"). Also... Photoshop 5.0? I think that program it's to old even for XP.

Running Windows 7 RC1 32-bit on AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ (2.70 GHz), 4 GB DDRII, onboard GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    • Marked as answer by hworker2 Monday, June 8, 2009 3:37 AM
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Some programs will need to be patched in order to run correctly, others will need to be replaced - it's up to the individual software vendors to make this happen.
    Photoshop 5 is compatible, but needs to be updated first.  The update can be downloaded from here.  Note, though, that it's only compatible with 32-bit Vista (no 64-bit support.)
    For your convenience:
    How Adobe Products Support Windows Vista (pdf)

Labels Unlimited seems to be in a similar boat:  I found that it is compatible with Vista (32-bit), but won't work in 64-bit.  Also, 32-bit users will need to install it in Compatibilty Mode (as do XP users, BTW.)  Since Learning Software has gone out of business, it's not going to be 'fixed.'
    Maybe you want to replace that with a newer (and, still-being-developed-and-supported) program?  I'd suggest Avery software:  they have a free shipping label program; if you use MS Word, they also have a free plugin (the Avery Wizard) that works quite well.

HTH,
    Chris

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Compatibility mode won't work. Photoshop 5.0 works fine in XP.( no problems). Sure it's old but it works and I'm sure not paying $699 for an upgrade or $1399 for the disk. hworker2.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 3:27 AM
  • Roger D, got 'em both and Avery works great. I'll just have to convert a whole lot of 'stuff' over to avery. Thanks. BTW, I used to work for Broderbund, then we tried to purchase The Learning Co. and it's a long story but they got us and then Mattel got them then Riverdeep then on and on and on.. I have ALL of the original programs that Broderbund put out form 1987-1998. I have a Dos machine in the garage and have fun on the old stuff. hworker2.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 3:34 AM

All replies

• Have you tried to run the programs in compatibility for Windows XP? (Right click on the .exe file, Properties, Compatibility, Check "Run this program in compatibility for Windows XP SP2"). Also... Photoshop 5.0? I think that program it's to old even for XP.

Running Windows 7 RC1 32-bit on AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ (2.70 GHz), 4 GB DDRII, onboard GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Some programs will need to be patched in order to run correctly, others will need to be replaced - it's up to the individual software vendors to make this happen.
    Photoshop 5 is compatible, but needs to be updated first.  The update can be downloaded from here.  Note, though, that it's only compatible with 32-bit Vista (no 64-bit support.)
    For your convenience:
    How Adobe Products Support Windows Vista (pdf)

Labels Unlimited seems to be in a similar boat:  I found that it is compatible with Vista (32-bit), but won't work in 64-bit.  Also, 32-bit users will need to install it in Compatibilty Mode (as do XP users, BTW.)  Since Learning Software has gone out of business, it's not going to be 'fixed.'
    Maybe you want to replace that with a newer (and, still-being-developed-and-supported) program?  I'd suggest Avery software:  they have a free shipping label program; if you use MS Word, they also have a free plugin (the Avery Wizard) that works quite well.

HTH,
    Chris

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:03 PM
  • I have several programs that ran in XP sp2 and will install in Vista Home Ultimate 64 and run on install but after a reboot the will not run, any ideas on what is happening between install and reboot?

Rich Madden
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 12:31 PM
  • Compatibility mode won't work. Photoshop 5.0 works fine in XP.( no problems). Sure it's old but it works and I'm sure not paying $699 for an upgrade or $1399 for the disk. hworker2.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 3:27 AM
  • Roger D, got 'em both and Avery works great. I'll just have to convert a whole lot of 'stuff' over to avery. Thanks. BTW, I used to work for Broderbund, then we tried to purchase The Learning Co. and it's a long story but they got us and then Mattel got them then Riverdeep then on and on and on.. I have ALL of the original programs that Broderbund put out form 1987-1998. I have a Dos machine in the garage and have fun on the old stuff. hworker2.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 3:34 AM
  • Yeah, it's called Vista Home Ultimate (64).. hworker2.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 3:36 AM