none
My Gantt Chart has Columns with essential categorisation of my tasks by service. Now looking at the Resource Usage I want that same column in this view as well! RRS feed

• Question

• My Gantt Chart has Columns with essential categorisation of my tasks by service and each task has a priority rating in another column

Now looking at the Resource Usage I want those same columns in this view as well! so I can level my resources according to my priorities and which service I'm dealing with (some services have more resource available)

Can anyone help me understand how to do this so that I don't just get a blank column added, but a column that picks up the data from what I've entered in the Gantt Chart view?

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:35 PM

Answers

• TeeCeethePM,

In order for you to get a better handle on how Project works please go to the MVP website at, http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm, and take a look at FAQ 51 - Data Types: Task, Resource, and Assignment. That FAQ will also reference FAQ 37 which will give you a starting point for doing what you want.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:18 AM
  • The way the MS Project data base is designed in the Resource Usage view you can only insert columns from the resource data base.  If you can insert the column on the resource sheet you then can insert the column in the resource usage view.  If you can't insert the column on the resource sheet then the value you want is a task field not a resource field.  If you created the column as a task column you can not insert it in the resource usage view.

MS Project is not a complete database that you can grab columns from anywhere.  When a resource is assigned to a task there is only 5 resource fields that are populated on the task side.  There are also some (but not many) fields that are updated on the resource side.  None of the custom fields will cross between task and resource.   To get what you want there would have to be a key field between task and resource and there isn't one.

You are hitting a system restriction to get the report you want.

Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT Training/Consulting/Author ellen@lehnertcs.com, www.lehnertcs.com Author "Managing Projects using MS Project 2010 desktop" courseware, www.MVP-Press.com
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

Adding on to what Ellen and John has already suggested : as John suggested you can look at the FAQ that has code to copy the data from task type and resource type fields into various Views.

You cann't have a task based field in resource views and vice versa because of a reason that fields are specifically linked to Tasks or Resource -holding their data or calculations which might not apply to both at same time. A task's attribute, say Service, may not apply to resource also; but there could be situations where we have some overlapping attributes in that case macro is only option to copy the values.

As for the Priorties - that can only be defined for the tasks and is not a resource's attribute.

So before you define a field, do give a thought on which could be best way to handle a situation - understanding that Task n Resource are 2 significantly different entities.

Sapna S
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Hi TeeCeethePM,

Because, as it says in the FAQ that John sent you to, Project has a Task Text 10 and a Resource Text 10.  You have to transfer the values from one to the other using the macro in the FAQs.

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:  http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:51 PM

All replies

• TeeCeethePM,

In order for you to get a better handle on how Project works please go to the MVP website at, http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm, and take a look at FAQ 51 - Data Types: Task, Resource, and Assignment. That FAQ will also reference FAQ 37 which will give you a starting point for doing what you want.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:18 AM
  • Keep in mind that the Resource usage can only show fields from the Resource data.  The task priority is in the task data as well as some of the other fields you are referring to.  You will not be able to show them on the resource usage.  Resource leveling will use the task priorty when leveling.
    Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT Training/Consulting/Author ellen@lehnertcs.com, www.lehnertcs.com Author "Managing Projects using MS Project 2010 desktop" courseware, www.MVP-Press.com
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:32 AM
  • I still don't understand why in Resource Usage View, I can't add my Column Text 10 = Service, in my example, and have the entries I made in the Gantt Chart View show up against the task list in the Resource usage view.

!!!

Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:12 PM
  • The way the MS Project data base is designed in the Resource Usage view you can only insert columns from the resource data base.  If you can insert the column on the resource sheet you then can insert the column in the resource usage view.  If you can't insert the column on the resource sheet then the value you want is a task field not a resource field.  If you created the column as a task column you can not insert it in the resource usage view.

MS Project is not a complete database that you can grab columns from anywhere.  When a resource is assigned to a task there is only 5 resource fields that are populated on the task side.  There are also some (but not many) fields that are updated on the resource side.  None of the custom fields will cross between task and resource.   To get what you want there would have to be a key field between task and resource and there isn't one.

You are hitting a system restriction to get the report you want.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

Adding on to what Ellen and John has already suggested : as John suggested you can look at the FAQ that has code to copy the data from task type and resource type fields into various Views.

You cann't have a task based field in resource views and vice versa because of a reason that fields are specifically linked to Tasks or Resource -holding their data or calculations which might not apply to both at same time. A task's attribute, say Service, may not apply to resource also; but there could be situations where we have some overlapping attributes in that case macro is only option to copy the values.

As for the Priorties - that can only be defined for the tasks and is not a resource's attribute.

So before you define a field, do give a thought on which could be best way to handle a situation - understanding that Task n Resource are 2 significantly different entities.

Sapna S
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Hi TeeCeethePM,

Because, as it says in the FAQ that John sent you to, Project has a Task Text 10 and a Resource Text 10.  You have to transfer the values from one to the other using the macro in the FAQs.

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:  http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Resource leveling will use the task priorty when leveling.
    How does that work.  I entered Priority in the Gantt chart in  a column.  1 = high priority.  So how does ms Project know that the 1's are what needs to be done first?  I have obviously put some dates around it, but right now, it is all bunched up in September.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:30 PM
  • TeeCeethePM,

You said you entered a priority in a column but did you use the Priority field? And a priority of 1 is actually next to the lowest priority (zero beling the lowest). In Project priority ranges from 0 to 1000 with 1000 being the highest and the default value (i.e. without the user making any entry) is 500.

When you enter a value in the Priority field and then activate resource leveling, Project takes the priority value into account when it executes its leveling algorithm. For more information on how Project uses priority when leveling, see Priority in the Project Help file.

Don't understand your comment about putting dates around "it". What does that mean? Are you manually entering dates into your schedule? If so, bad idea.

John

Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:03 PM