Search in start menu stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

few days ago  search in my start menu stopped working. No mater what I start searching always I get only Programs and Outlook without icon. Sample is http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5838/searchinstartmenu.jpg .

It is only in Win7 RC. In beta version I didn`t have this problem.

I tried to delete search index and rebuild it, but it is the same.

Does anybody know the solution?
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 5:49 PM

All replies

• I would try the search troubleshooter in the Control Panel. Set the "View" setting in the upper right corner of Control Panel to 'small icons', and then click "Troubleshooting". click "System and Security" in the list, and then see the 'Search and Indexing" to open that, and click the "Advanced" link to be sure to "run as administrator", and fix things automatically.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:23 PM
  • I got message that troubleshooter did not find any problems and problem is still actual.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 12:19 PM
  • Is there anybody familiar with problem. It is so tiny bug, but it bugs me a lot...

Thank you,

Josip
    Monday, July 13, 2009 11:27 AM
  • I am having this exact same issue.

I also tried to above steps, and it still does not work.  This is really annoying, as I am constantly telling people it is one of my favorite features of window 7

There is NO option to run either the advanced options or the repair index option as administrator.

I removed all of the folders from the index.

But, now you can't add them back, as there is not SEARCH option on the c:\users\allusers\startmenu option.
    If you try to add it from the indexer, all users does not show up on the list.

PS there are several offline folder groups that I could not remove.

And, yes, this is a small feature, but it is really really annoying that it does not work.

Sunday, November 1, 2009 8:52 PM
  • I am having this exact same issue.

I also tried to above steps, and it still does not work.  This is really annoying, as I am constantly telling people it is one of my favorite features of window 7

There is NO option to run either the advanced options or the repair index option as administrator.

I removed all of the folders from the index.

But, now you can't add them back, as there is not SEARCH option on the c:\users\allusers\startmenu option.
    If you try to add it from the indexer, all users does not show up on the list.

PS there are several offline folder groups that I could not remove.

And, yes, this is a small feature, but it is really really annoying that it does not work.

Are you using the final version of Windows 7 or a beta/RC?
    Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 10:17 PM
    Answerer
  • I can't speak for the OP, but I am also having this problem.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate Retail and the start menu search bar does not display any programs in my results.

Previously I have been able to search for "add remove" and have it take me to "Add Remove Programs".  I have been able to search for "calc" and have it bring up Calculator ect.

The only results I get now are files.

EDIT:
    I found my answer.  I had to go to Customize Start Menu -> Advanced and then select "Search Programs and Control Panel"

http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/general-discussion/32439d1256221446t-start-menu-typing-program-name-not-working-settings.jpg
    • Proposed as answer by dadid890 Friday, February 12, 2010 8:44 PM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:35 AM
  • My problem was different from 02bluesuperroo's problem, but it was exactly like the problem that Josip Golubić opened this thread under.
    There is a Microsoft answers post that references Josip's issue.
    It seems that the root of the problem is the GroupBy value in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{EF87B4CB-F2CE-4785-8658-4CA6C63E38C6}\TopViews\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} key in the registry. It is set to System.Null, when it should be System.StartMenu.Group.
    When it is set to System.Null, all that you end up seeing in the list is the set of categories that items were found in, not the actual items found in the search. I don't know what changed that value for me (or how I did it inadvertently), but setting the value back to System.StartMenu.Group does seem to correct the issue.
    The fix does require a kill/restart of explorer.exe, or you can just logout and log back in after making the registry change.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:55 PM
  • or simply Use FixWin utility to fix this problem !!
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Thanks you gave me the clue I needed. I have seen many ideas on how to solve this but I solved this by exporting the FolderTypes registry settings from a machine that was healthy to the one that was broken.
    Killed explorer and run it again and everying has come back to life!
    Thanks!
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:38 PM
  • Thanks to Chris DeLashmutt, that registry fix worked perfectly!
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 10:35 AM
  • This should be an update; well done chris. Thanks for your help. Microsoft; act! This is pathetic; simple fix and not user error therefor be responsible for this and apply this as a very simple window update. Enough said because I've spent waaaaay too long on this issue than needed so please address this for others.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:18 AM
  • Thank you Chris! This was exactly my problem. I don't know how it happened for me either, but all I was getting was a list of categories (Programs, Music, etc.). Changing that registry key value back to System.StartMenu.Group fixed the problem.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:46 AM
  • To be specific, that's the GroupBy vale under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{EF87B4CB-F2CE-4785-8658-4CA6C63E38C6}\TopViews\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I had the same problem to which you have provided the solution but  I do not know how I can change the registry to System.StartMenu.Group.

Please help me know how I can perform that operation.

Anybody else can also help me.

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 6:47 AM
  • I delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{EF87B4CB-F2CE-4785-8658-4CA6C63E38C6} key from registry and apply the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{ef87b4cb-f2ce-4785-8658-4ca6c63e38c6}]

"CanonicalName"="StartMenu"

"Mode"=dword:00000001

"PerceivedType"=dword:00000000

"Theme"="default"

"MostRelevant"="prop:System.Author;System.Keywords"

"LayoutType"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{ef87b4cb-f2ce-4785-8658-4ca6c63e38c6}\TopViews]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{ef87b4cb-f2ce-4785-8658-4ca6c63e38c6}\TopViews\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}]

"Name"="NoName"

"Order"=dword:00000000

"GroupBy"="System.StartMenu.Group"

"PrimaryProperty"="System.StartMenu.Group"

"SortByList"="prop:-System.Search.Rank;-System.DateModified;System.ItemNameDisplay"

"LogicalViewMode"=dword:00000001

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:48 PM