Is there any way to import a mailbox without PST? RRS feed

• Question

• To streamline our methods when providing email of former employee's to their managers I would like to find out IF there is any way to import the entire contents directly to the specified mailbox sub-folder rather than a New-MailboxExportRequest followed by a New-MailboxImportRequest ?

By doing so it would provide so much improvement by placing the mail folder directly into a managers Inbox as a sub-folder.

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:35 PM

All replies

• What about:

1.  reset the employee's password

2.  grant full access to the manager

3.  show the manager how to access the mailbox content in outlook

The approach you suggest would cause the managers mailbox to potentially get very large and difficult to manage.

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

• Marked as answer by Mike Crowley Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:56 AM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:17 AM
  • What about:

The approach you suggest would cause the managers mailbox to potentially get very large and difficult to manage.

This is a Hospital environment, not the best trained users and very busy!

We would like to make this easy on them and IT!

Most mailboxes would not be very large and I believe we have the ability to determine if size could pose a problem.

1.  reset the employee's password? Not a great option. This would require a manager to login with the former employee's credentials which takes time out of their busy day

2.  grant full access to the manager.... And your point is to allow the manager connect to the mailbox?

3.  show the manager how to access the mailbox content in outlook... You must have lots of spare time and can perform hand holding often? Most of our managers are not great PC users, PC use is not their primary focus.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:30 AM
  • 1. Mikes suggestions are on point (as always) and I understand your concerns about training the managers to gain access to another mailbox but I think you could break it down to a fairly simple process, i.e.

A. you would have to give the manager the rights to the mailbox before they could gain access http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996343.aspx

B. once you granted the rights you could give them explicit instructions on how to gain access and there are a few already written i.e.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/add-a-second-additional-mailbox-in-outlook-2010/

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/outlook/add-additional-mailbox-to-outlook-2007/

2. So for Clarification, are you wanting to copy the ex-employees mailbox direct from the online production mailbox to the managers productions mailbox or from an offline copy to the managers production mailbox sub-folder?  if you want to do a direct copy from an offline EDB for the ex-employee to the Managers online mailbox you can check out Lucid8's DigiScope product since it can do what you are looking for and more http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:49 PM
  • What about:

This is a Hospital environment, not the best trained users and very busy!

We would like to make this easy on them and IT!

Most mailboxes would not be very large and I believe we have the ability to determine if size could pose a problem.

1.  reset the employee's password? Not a great option. This would require a manager to login with the former employee's credentials which takes time out of their busy day

2.  grant full access to the manager.... And your point is to allow the manager connect to the mailbox?

3.  show the manager how to access the mailbox content in outlook... You must have lots of spare time and can perform hand holding often? Most of our managers are not great PC users, PC use is not their primary focus.

In Outlook 2010 if you grant a manager to another user's mailbox via the full-access permission it’s added to the user's profile automatically in some cases. But it’s also very simple to do this manually as Troy states. This is the normal way of doing things and your approach is not.

I suggest you try this before you dismiss it; your understanding of managers typing passwords is incorrect. This is the purpose of granting him/her full access - no password required.

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:07 PM
  • This is the normal way of doing things and your approach is not

I need to comment on the above statement.

NORMAL does not always dictate function. What environment you work in may dictate what is YOUR normal or the suggested NORMAL.

Working in a hospital with a recent audit and HIPPA regulations to deal with our NORMAL is changing. Your suggestion may even fall under best practice, I have not found a BP method suggested, do you have a link to one?

In some cases it may not be appropriate to suggest what is normal. What is normal for everyone?

What environment do you work in?

This makes me think about some cultures that eat whale and dolphin. IT's their norm to eat them but not in my culture.

So tell me what is norm?

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:59 PM
  • So guess there is no way to do a New-MailboxExportRequest directly to another mailbox huh?  

We would like to do that as well and have been doing it in Exchange 2007 using export-mailbox -targetmailbox for years and it has worked great for us.  Now we have upgraded to 2010 and this job is more difficult with more steps.

Jason Meyer

Thursday, November 1, 2012 9:44 PM
  • It appears there is no improvement over a method we can use, that is cumbersome at best.

Thanks, Charlie

Friday, November 2, 2012 2:35 PM
  • You can do it using (Multi-Mailbox Search) Search-Mailbox.

Multi-mailbox search enables you perform search in the mailbox of the user you specify and at the same time manage the content.

You can formulate the SearchQuery based on your Requirement using the Advanced Query Syntax.

you can try something like:

Search-Mailbox -identity "Mailbox to Search" -SearchQuery "kind:everything" -TargetMailbox Mailbox_For_Restoring_Info -TargetFolder FolderName_Example_Recovery

For more info refer to the links below:

Search-Mailbox

Multi-Mailbox Search

Advanced Key Word Searches

Advanced Query Syntax

Hope this helps!

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

• Edited by PK M Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:09 AM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:04 AM