Line Spacing in Windows 10 context menu RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know why, but suddenly the distance between lines have changed in the context menu. Even if I try to change

the font size, this doesn't affect line spacing. Is there any registry value I should change? Thanks a lot in advance!

Saturday, September 5, 2015 2:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please give us a photo about your issue for better understanding, if you could not post photos on forum, please share it with us by using sharing link such like OneDrive.

If you mean the line space of the right click menu, we wonder if you enabled the tablet mode of Windows 10 in has Windows 10 installed on touch-screen device. It makes the line space of context menu lager for better recognition of finger gesture.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by EA_Brasil Wednesday, September 9, 2015 9:45 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 1:03 AM
  • Can you perform a System Restore?

Select any  restore point when there was no such issue.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Saturday, September 5, 2015 4:43 AM
  • Hi,

The user interface shell settings should applie to peruser, could you create a new user and see if the line spacing is still large, if it still persists, I guess that it is related to whole machine/system settings.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by EA_Brasil Thursday, September 17, 2015 1:58 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 1:20 AM
  • EA_Brasil,

For the life of me, I don't see an "above picture".  I've been trying to follow this thread, and I still don't have a clue what your talking about.  Where is the double line spacing?  Just the Menu's, or Icon's, Notepad, ?  If it's in the "Right Click" on the "Start Menu" then that is the new design. At least on my machine which is currently build 10532, and I personally like the extra space, but to each his own.

Maybe I just missed something..

Sorry I don't understand,

Dave

P.S. Do you mean this (Picture Below)? If so that's the normal behavior..  I hope.  :-).  It is on mine anyway.

• Edited by Slow Joe Thursday, September 17, 2015 11:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by EA_Brasil Friday, September 18, 2015 12:39 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 11:28 PM
  • Hi Dave,

it is exactly what I mean. And the problem is just in the "right click". The menus inside applications are preserved.

From my point of view, this is annoying for instance when you have several items in the menu. It will be necessary to roll down to see the "most in the bottom" items.

This is not normal and Microsoft must come with a solution. It seems to be a bug in this Build (10532). Is there anybody else in the same release with the same problem?

Thanks a lot, Dave!

EA_Brasil

• Marked as answer by EA_Brasil Friday, September 18, 2015 12:48 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 12:48 AM

All replies

• Can you perform a System Restore?

Select any  restore point when there was no such issue.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Saturday, September 5, 2015 4:43 AM
  • Thanks for your prompt answer, but unfortunately there is just one restore point available (yesterday) which won`t help. I can`t even see the options for earlier restore points.

I would go for an installation recover, only as a last option, once I must reinstall all "non-store" app.

Thanks a lot once again!

• Unmarked as answer by EA_Brasil Wednesday, September 9, 2015 9:45 PM
    Saturday, September 5, 2015 3:19 PM
  • Hi,

Please give us a photo about your issue for better understanding, if you could not post photos on forum, please share it with us by using sharing link such like OneDrive.

If you mean the line space of the right click menu, we wonder if you enabled the tablet mode of Windows 10 in has Windows 10 installed on touch-screen device. It makes the line space of context menu lager for better recognition of finger gesture.

Regards,

D. Wu

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 1:03 AM
  • Hi Deason, I hope the picture above could help. It is related to a right click in the recycle bin shortcut, in the desktop area.

Also, the tablet settings are all ok, with no changes in the default settings.

thank you very much for your attention on this matter.

Regards,

Eduardo

EA_Brasil

Saturday, September 12, 2015 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

The user interface shell settings should applie to peruser, could you create a new user and see if the line spacing is still large, if it still persists, I guess that it is related to whole machine/system settings.

Regards,

D. Wu

• Marked as answer by EA_Brasil Thursday, September 17, 2015 1:58 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 1:20 AM
  • Hi!

Unfortunately, nothing has happened. I`ve create a different account but even in the new environment, lines are double spaced.

As I stated before, I would go for an installation recover only as a last option, once I must reinstall all "non-store" app.

Did I reach the last option? In this case, I would be disappointed, once Windows would demonstrate a obnoxious behavior, changing settings without being asked.

Regards,

Eduardo

EA_Brasil

Thursday, September 17, 2015 2:04 AM
  • I have the same problem too! And it happened after a big update. I'm also an Insider, I can't find any solution.
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 8:58 AM
  • EA_Brasil,

For the life of me, I don't see an "above picture".  I've been trying to follow this thread, and I still don't have a clue what your talking about.  Where is the double line spacing?  Just the Menu's, or Icon's, Notepad, ?  If it's in the "Right Click" on the "Start Menu" then that is the new design. At least on my machine which is currently build 10532, and I personally like the extra space, but to each his own.

Maybe I just missed something..

Sorry I don't understand,

Dave

P.S. Do you mean this (Picture Below)? If so that's the normal behavior..  I hope.  :-).  It is on mine anyway.

• Edited by Slow Joe Thursday, September 17, 2015 11:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by EA_Brasil Friday, September 18, 2015 12:39 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 11:28 PM
  • Hi Dave,

it is exactly what I mean. And the problem is just in the "right click". The menus inside applications are preserved.

From my point of view, this is annoying for instance when you have several items in the menu. It will be necessary to roll down to see the "most in the bottom" items.

This is not normal and Microsoft must come with a solution. It seems to be a bug in this Build (10532). Is there anybody else in the same release with the same problem?

Thanks a lot, Dave!

EA_Brasil

• Marked as answer by EA_Brasil Friday, September 18, 2015 12:48 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 12:48 AM
  • Thanks EA_Brasil for your reply.

I've tried "Right Clicking" on every conceivable thing, and I can't reproduce a menu where I have so much in it, that I have to scroll down.  Where is it that your having to scroll down?  The only one that comes close would be when I right click on Chrome, but it still is within normal limits.. 

Maybe you have a program that you have a lot more stored in your menus than i do..  

Anyway, good luck, and I hope you find a work around.

P.S. I don't know if you've read the "Blog" by Gabe Aul, but here is the link:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/08/27/windows-10-insider-preview-build-10532-for-pc/?OCID=WIP_r_Body_Blog_Win10rel

Dave

• Edited by Slow Joe Friday, September 18, 2015 1:12 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 1:05 AM
  • Dear All,

I am happy to say that in the last build I`ve received, the (10565) the problem was solved.

The distance between lines has been returned to the normal appearance, which enforces that it was a problem related to the build.

Thank you all, for your support and concern about this silly but annoying issue.

Regards,

EA_Brasil

EA_Brasil

Friday, October 16, 2015 12:43 AM
  • EA_Brasil, glad to here your all fixed up.  I'm also on Build 10565, but my menu is the same as Build 10532. Hmmmm, oh well, glad your with your menus again.  Build 10565 is the best build I've worked with so far. Many of the items that weren't working before, are now fixed, and seems much faster in many operations.

Good luck,

Dave (slow)

• Edited by Slow Joe Friday, October 16, 2015 12:52 AM
    Friday, October 16, 2015 12:52 AM
  • I now have the same problem in file explorer after installing TH2 upgrade on a Surface Pro 3.  Menu in the nav pane is single spaced with pen or touchpad, but double spaced with right click using touch.   This makes it almost impossible to hit the down arrow to show bottom items.  Right touch in the detail pane is sometimes double and sometimes single spaced and I can't figure out the pattern.
    Friday, November 27, 2015 4:13 PM
  • My issue is the same as Whitewater... touch access makes the menu huge and touchpad works normally. This is frustrating! 10586 here.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 7:19 AM
  • I am facing the same issue on Ver 1151 Build 10586.29.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 7:06 AM
  • i am having the same issue on 10586.36 This is by no means resolved  
    Saturday, December 19, 2015 11:00 AM
  • Same problem here in 10586.36 and it also affects my thunderbird newsreader  in the list and message panes, no amount of font change helps,

Rene Lamontagne

Saturday, December 19, 2015 8:14 PM
  • Same issue here on 10586.36. Affects File Explorer context menu and double spaces the lines/options. Very inconvenient as you have to scroll down/up through the context menu in order to see all of it. Will upload picture once allowed to by forum.

Thanks

• Edited by MM UK Sunday, December 27, 2015 6:59 PM
    Sunday, December 27, 2015 6:43 PM
  • Same here. I wonder how long it takes ms to fix the bug?

Thursday, December 31, 2015 11:33 PM
  • Everyone, I have started a new thread, maybe you should post your dislike of the new context in support of at least a switch to control padded or not padded context menus..

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/39236592-30b1-47c4-b873-a8164497a896/line-spacing-in-windows-10-context-menu-take-2?forum=win10itprogeneral

Friday, January 1, 2016 3:39 AM
  • This issue is partly explained (at least from what I am seeing on my SurfacePro 3) in the link below.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/spacing-issue-in-context-menu-windows-10/bd8ba2ac-4319-49cd-91df-cc24c0b0777e

Hope this helps.

Friday, January 1, 2016 9:29 PM
  • Are you talking in Word pad?  I am having the same issue you cannot have the spacing less than a 1.5 lines instead of 1.0 line; what I would like.  
    Monday, January 11, 2016 12:27 AM
  • If I understand this link (aswers/.....777e) correctly, the extra line spacing is INTENTIONAL for touch screen (tablets). If one uses an 8" tablet many context menus span more than the total height of the screen. You have to scroll to select some items, what is very, very inconvenient.

The reason to implement such a behaviour for touch screens is beyond me.

Apart from this inconvenient behaviour, it has also a bug in that it sometimes (touch screen usage) displays in normal mode and another time in the (silly) spacious mode.

Sunday, January 17, 2016 2:00 PM
  • If I understand this link (aswers/.....777e) correctly, the extra line spacing is INTENTIONAL for touch screen (tablets). If one uses an 8" tablet many context menus span more than the total height of the screen. You have to scroll to select some items, what is very, very inconvenient.

The reason to implement such a behaviour for touch screens is beyond me.

Apart from this inconvenient behaviour, it has also a bug in that it sometimes (touch screen usage) displays in normal mode and another time in the (silly) spacious mode.

Except it does not work with touch, so in 8 inch tablets you have to try to click on the down arrow to see more items and since the screen is small you miss the arrow all the time closing the menu.  AMAZING Microsoft!
    Sunday, April 17, 2016 3:46 PM