none
IE does not recognize internet connection RRS feed

• Question

• I have two browsers installed.  Neither of them (IE or FireFox) can open a web page.  The network test via CMD responds to pinging the modem and ipconfig gives me the correct info.  What could be blocking the browsers?  I have reset the stack, reset the browsers.  Other advice?  I am running xp.

thanks

Saturday, August 16, 2014 8:11 PM

All replies

• Hi, first advice I have: upgrade your operating system especially when using it with an internet connection as Windows XP reached end of life. You have to check some things: Is your dns working properly (e.g. can you resolve google.com). Do you have any firewalls between your computer and the internet? Browsers need to communicate on tcp port 80 and 443 if its ssl. Are those ports free? Regards Sebastian
    Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:04 PM
  • Hello,

Try the steps which are given below to fix your problem:

1) Click on Start button. 
    2) Type Cmd in the Start Search text box 
    3) Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request. 
    4) Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key. 
    5) Restart the computer.

What netsh winsock reset command does are it resets Winsock Catalog to a clean state or default configuration. It removes all Winsock LSP (Layered Service Providers) previously installed, including the potential malfunctioned LSP that causes loss of network packets transmission failure. So all previously-installed LSPs must be reinstalled. This command does not affect Winsock Name Space Provider entries.

Note: To check which LSPs installed on your Vista system, use netsh winsock show catalog command.

Source: Microsoft Answers

• Proposed as answer by Fahadking07 Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:59 PM
    Sunday, August 17, 2014 4:49 PM
  • What could be blocking the browsers?

Something that is blocking the HTTP protocol or something that is blocking those specific programs.

telnet 80 would be a better diagnostic than ping.  Then at least you would be checking connectivity to an HTTP server instead of (problematic) connectivity via ICMP.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:05 PM