Remote Desktop Services issue after installation fail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I have an issue with Windows Server 2016 Role - Remote Desktop Services.
    Some time ago I tried install this role, but installation failed with errors and installation task was freezed. Even when I reboot the OS, the task re-start again with installation failed.
    I stopped installation task in task manager, and forget about this, till now.
    Now I can't login Remotely to any server accounts.
    Role is not installed:
    [ ] Remote Desktop Services
        [ ] Remote Desktop Connection Broker
        [ ] Remote Desktop Gateway
        [ ] Remote Desktop Licensing
        [ ] Remote Desktop Session Host
        [ ] Remote Desktop Virtualization Host
        [ ] Remote Desktop Web Access

But I have installed Remote Desktop Licensing Service.

After local login I have message "The RD Licensing grace period has expired and Licensing mode for the Remote Desktop Session Host server has not been configured. Licensing mode must be configured for continuous operation."

Also I don't have installed Remote Desktop Licensing Diagnoser/Manager

How can remove this?

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 11:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please follow below steps to remove “Remote Desktop Licensing Service”.

1. Open “Server Manager”, click “Add roles and features”.

1. Click “Start the Remove Roles and Features Wizard"

1. Keep next until “Select server roles”, uncheck “Remote Desktop Licensing” -> “Remove features”->Next

1. Check “Restart the destination server automatically if required” -> Click “Remove”

1. Run "get-windowsfeature " in PowerShell to double confirm below roles has not been installed.

[ ] Remote Desktop Services

[ ] Remote Desktop Connection Broker

[ ] Remote Desktop Gateway

[ ] Remote Desktop Licensing

[ ] Remote Desktop Session Host

[ ] Remote Desktop Virtualization Host

[ ] Remote Desktop Web Access

Meanwhile, if you would like to reinstall the RDS role, please refer to below link which contains detailed steps for RDS deployment.

https://nedimmehic.org/2017/01/21/deploying-remote-desktop-services-2016-step-by-step/

This "Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details. 

Thanks,

Eleven

"Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

• Edited by Elevenyh Thursday, July 23, 2020 5:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Elevenyh Wednesday, August 5, 2020 3:21 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 5:41 AM
  • Hi,

This is second part for your error message "The RD Licensing grace period has expired and Licensing mode for the Remote Desktop Session Host server has not been configured. Licensing mode must be configured for continuous operation." Please try below steps to see if that could resolve.

On the remote session host server, open "Registry Editor" -> find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\RCM\GracePeriod"->right click "Graceperiod"->Permissions-> change the owner of the registry key->delete L$RTMTIMEBO..

Thanks,

Eleven

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Elevenyh Wednesday, August 5, 2020 3:21 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 5:59 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please let us know if above replies help you to resolve the issue.

Or you could mark the replies as answers if no further follow up is required.

This "Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details. 

Thanks,

Eleven

"Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.
    • Edited by Elevenyh Friday, July 24, 2020 1:44 AM
    Friday, July 24, 2020 1:44 AM
  • Hi,

Does the information provided help?

Please let us know if your issue has been resolved or not.

Thanks,

Eleven

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 27, 2020 6:21 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please mark our replies as answer if no more assistance is required?

If you have any further question, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,

Eleven

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

Please be informed that we have moved this thread to "Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

You could follow up using below link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/61592/remote-desktop-services-issue-after-installation-f.html?childToView=61555#answer-61555

Thanks,

Eleven

Friday, August 7, 2020 7:00 AM