none
Tasks with higher priorities RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble defining a task constraints. 

I have multiple tasks for one individual to do that has multiple interruptions - see below:

Task 1 - Design widget, duration 1 week, completed by resource 1 

Task 2 - Manufacture widget, duration 2 weeks, completed by resource 2, to follow task 1

Task 3 - Test widget, duration 1 week, completed by resource 1, to follow task 2

Task 4 - Redesign widget, duration 1 week, completed by resource 1, to follow task 3

Task 5 - Manufacture redesigned widget, duration 2 weeks, completed by resource 2, to follow task 4

Task 6 - Design crate, duration 12 weeks, completed by resource 1, to be worked on during down time when resource 2 is doing supporting work (task 3 and 5) - how do I make these constraints flow into one task to create an overall timeline?

Thanks,

Jamie

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Jamie,

I'd start creating a project plan like the screenshot above. Set a higher priority for the first 5 tasks so when you'll run the leveling, only the task 6 will move.

Then run a leveling ("resource" tab) checking the follwing options. Selecting 3priority standard" will take into account the task priority. Allowing spliting the remaining work will spread the task 6 based on resource 1 availability (task 2 and 5). 

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:21 PM
  • Or create two tasks for Design Crate:

Design create part 1 - 2w start to start on task 2

Design Crate part 2 - 8w start to start on task 5

This is a clearer communication of what's happening and avoids all the automatic leveling complications.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, February 13, 2015 7:33 PM