Scan & Fix ESP (F:) RRS feed

• Question

• When I turn on my computer in the morning, I will occasionally get the message requesting that I "Scan and fix ESP (f:)".   My computer has a 250g ssd as C:, and a 1t hdd  backup as E:.  I understand that the esp is a partition created by windows, but...

Sometimes ESP (f:) will show up under "computer", and sometimes it won't. This appears independently of the scan & fix issue. Today, f: is showing up; amusingly enough, it's showing 217 of 496m free. Would love to know where it's getting that number from. 

I tried doing a manual chckdsk of f: at the command prompt. No go. Wouldn't let me schedule one for next restart either. 

Pics: http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu181/stinamonster/fdriveerror.png
    http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu181/stinamonster/fdriveerror2.png

Finally, this happens about once a week. Can't predict the trigger. I shut down my computer every night to save power, since an ssd loads up so fast it's not an issue turning it on in the morning.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 3:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Faifai1,

Is this computer UEFI based computers? open Run, type MSInfo32 and hit Enter to open System Information, If your PC uses BIOS, it will display Legacy. If it is using UEFI, it will display UEFI.

The ESP partition is known as the EFI System Partition on UEFI based computers. Each bootable drive must contain an ESP. The computer boots to this partition.

For more information about ESP partitions, please see: Windows and GPT FAQ (Start from this part: Questions about Windows GPT required partitions: EFI System Partition)

The ESP FAT file system is mounted, but not exposed. This allows programs running under Windows to update the contents of the ESP. Assigning a drive letter to the ESP using ‘mountvol /s’ will allow access to the partition. Access to the ESP requires admin privilege. Although the MSR, and any partitions created from the MSR, could have recognizable file systems, none are exposed.

We may try to run the startup repair and see if issue insists:

Advanced startup options (including safe mode)

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Michael_LS Wednesday, December 3, 2014 5:05 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 5:04 AM
  • Good morning! Thanks for taking an interest!

I finally got f8 to work and ran startup repair. Unfortunately, it found nothing. No errors for Startup Repair to fix. 

Something I forgot to mention: sometimes the screen will also flash "Would you like to scan and fix DIAGS".  This box comes up upon startup but goes away so quickly I can't see what drive letter it indicates. (edit: came up this morning. It's F:.  There is currently no F: visible in Computer.) This occurs independently of Scan & fix ESP, and once again I don't know what triggers the issue. 
    Sorry, I forgot to mention this issue earlier because I simply forgot about it. Only remembered because it popped up while I was trying to get into the recovery menu. 

• Edited by Faifai1 Monday, December 8, 2014 2:32 PM
    Saturday, December 6, 2014 3:27 PM
  • Oh and one more bit of information: I already did a full system restore a couple months back, hoping it would solve the issue. Obviously it didn't.
    Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:06 PM
  • Hi Faifai1,

Please share us a screenshot of your Disk Management tool.

The other thing is to make sure your hard disk is stable on the motherboard, and there is no removable drives attached when starting the computer.

Further, run a full scan with command chkdsk /f /r on the computer.

Best regards

Michael Shao

Monday, December 8, 2014 6:22 AM
  • Okay!

1) I've got a removable external hdd plugged in via powered usb hub that stays off. Whenever I do turn it on (which is rarely), I always select to remove it via the icon in my systray.

2) Ssd (c:) and hdd (e:) are both secure in their frames.

3) Screenshot as requested: http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu181/stinamonster/diskmanagementtool12-9-14.png

4) Will run the checkdisc and let you know what happens.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 1:33 PM
  • Hi Faifai1,

From the screenshot you uploaded, there is no F: drive listed. Was it listed only under some special situations?

I will have a discussion with my teammates, and if further helpful information, will update here.

Best regards

Michael Shao

Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:22 PM
  • Nope, no F: showing, yet today I got the "scan & fix DIAGS (F:)".
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:01 PM
  • Hi Faifai1,

Do you have any 3rd party software that would check the disk health when your machine start up?

Besides, please take a check at the manufacturer side, check if they have installed/preconfigured any protecting tools.

Best regards

Michael Shao

Friday, December 12, 2014 9:00 AM