none
DPM 2012 SP1 Rollup 1 does not offer Hyper-V VM on Windows Server 2012 host RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

after moving VMs to a new Windows Server 2012 host, DPM 2012 SP1 Rollup 1 german running on a german Windows Server 2008 (non-R2) does not offer the VMs on the new host when we add or modify a protection group. All we see is the host name, under that we see Hyper-V, under that we see only "Host Component" but no VMs.

We had to use the workaround posted in this forum to be able to manage protection groups at all without the DPM MMC crashing: We have a batch file calling "SET COMPLUS_VERSION=v4.0.30319" and then launching the DPM 2012 .msc file (as admin, of course).

We were able to restore the VMs from backups of the old host to the new one. We just cannot include the freshly restored running VMs in DPM protection.

What do we have wrong?

Best Regards, Stefan Falk

Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, since you restored from a DPM backup, we maintain the original VM ID, so DPM believes it's still protected.

Two choices.

1) Stop protection and delete the replica, then it should be protectable.

2) Enable Live Migration feature so DPM can discover that it's the same VM but now housed on a different hyper-V server.

DPM can follow guests and continue protection if migrated now.  See this TechNet article.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757866.aspx#bkmk_protectvmwithlivemigration 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Stefan Falk Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:21 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For your UR1 issue, please install the V2 version.

This is to inform you that the DPM 2012 SP1 UR1 was re-released to fix some issues on non-US sku.<o:p></o:p>

Description of UpdateRollup 1 for System Center 2012 Service Pack 1
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2785682<o:p></o:p>

Data Protection Manager (KB2802095)  <o:p></o:p>

Issue 1
    Client backups fail when there is a case difference between the client computer name on the computer and the client computer name that is stored in Active Directory.

Issue 2
    The Administrator Console may stop working when a user starts the Create Protection Group Wizard on a non-English or a non-Russian version of Data Protection Manager.

For the VM issue, did you use VMM to migrate the VM's to the new host ?  Do new VM's show up ?  If not, then check the Hyper-V writer output by running:

C:\>Diskshadow.exe - then List Writers - check the output and see if the VM's are listed. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 25, 2013 7:30 PM
  • Hello Mike,

Thank you for your answer.

Yesterday, DPM 2012 SP1 UR1 came again (via WSUS this time). I let it install, but it told me "failed". However, after a reboot, the DPM console didn't crash again if I modify a protection group.

The VMs came to the new host by restoring DPM backups of them from the old host to the new one. Then they where moved by Hyper-V manager to change the folder structure (DPM restores a long hierarchy of folders). They show up in Hyper-V manager and run like a charm. diskshadow list writers shows all the VMs, for example>

+ Komponente "Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer:\B83A0E16-7FA3-45D3-8E56-3577BA0126F7"
             - Name: B83A0E16-7FA3-45D3-8E56-3577BA0126F7
             - Logischer Pfad:
             - Vollständiger Pfad: \B83A0E16-7FA3-45D3-8E56-3577BA0126F7
             - Beschriftung: Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\CT-ETT-S04
             - Typ: VSS_CT_FILEGROUP [2]
             - Ist auswählbar: TRUE
             - Auf oberster Ebene: TRUE
             - Benachricht. nach Sicherung: FALSE
             - Von dieser Komponente betroffene Pfade:
                     - E:\Hyper-V\VMs\CT-ETT-S04\Virtual Hard Disks\
                     - E:\Hyper-V\VMs\CT-ETT-S04\Virtual Machines\
             - Von dieser Komponente betroffene Volumes:
                    - \\?\Volume{3da296ec-834e-4d40-844c-96aeec414eb4}\ [E:\]
             - Komponentenabhängigkeiten:
    I updated the DPM agents on the target machines (must admit that I forgot that after UR1). However, the VMs of the new host are still not offered for protection in DPM.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 9:37 AM
  • Hi,

Normally if you migrate a guest to another hyper-V host it would show up as a VM to protect, but would be grayed out because it's already in a protection group.  I'm not understanding why it's not enumerated at all.  If you make a new VM on that host, does the new Guest get enumerated ?

FYI, DPM can follow guests and continue protection if migrated now.  See this TechNet article.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757866.aspx#bkmk_protectvmwithlivemigration 

Monday, January 28, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Hello Mike,

Thank you for your message. To be clear, we did not migrate the VMs using Live Migration or thelike, but just restored the DPM VM backup made from the old (2008 R2) host to the new (2012) host. The VMs showed up, could be configured (network names changed) and started. They run fine since them. There is no kind of Windows Server cluster involved here, just ordinary servers.

Monday, January 28, 2013 3:39 PM
  • Hi,

So I need to cut the problem in half, it's either a general problem with enumeration of hyper-V in general, or just the guests that were moved.

Please run this DPM power shell command on the DPM Server protecting that new host.

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> $ps = Get-ProductionServer -DPMServerName  Dpm-Server-name  | where { $_.NetBiosName -eq "HyperV-PS-name" }
    PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> Get-Datasource -ProductionServer $ps -Inquire 

Does that list any hyper-V guests ?

Monday, January 28, 2013 4:07 PM
  • Hello Mike,

No, it doesn't. It enumerates the Microsoft Hyper-V "Host Component", but none of the VMs.

Is it of any importance that the Hyper-V host is a Domain Controller?

Monday, January 28, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Hello,

I just tried adding a new VM. This is getting offered in DPM - just the restored ones don't. Why? What could I do to get the VMs backed up again?

Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:23 PM
  • Hello again,

Just an idea: Might it be the problem that the VM restored via DPM has the same VM ID as the original one, and that the original one is still known to DPM?

Should I delete the old VMs (of the old host) in DPM, and would I then be able to protect the new one (of the new host)?

Can I change the VM ID without export/import and that long VHD copy process?

Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:05 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, since you restored from a DPM backup, we maintain the original VM ID, so DPM believes it's still protected.

Two choices.

1) Stop protection and delete the replica, then it should be protectable.

2) Enable Live Migration feature so DPM can discover that it's the same VM but now housed on a different hyper-V server.

DPM can follow guests and continue protection if migrated now.  See this TechNet article.

• Marked as answer by Stefan Falk Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:21 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:41 PM
  • Hello Mike,

Solved! Thanks! I removed the old VMs from protection (did not yet delete replicas on disk or tape). DPM offered the VMs on the new host, and even seems to use the very same volumes on disk. It only started consistency checks, no initial replications.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:21 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for that, Based on other similar issue I worked on, DPM should have showed the VM's during enumeration on the new server, but should have simply not allowed you to select them for protection.   But apparently, it filtered them out entirely until you stopped protection.  I will need to ping the product group and see what the correct behavior should be.  I don't like split brain behavior for the same condition.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:24 PM