Default Template for Problem? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to create a default template for a new Problem in either version of SCSM? Specifically, we want to have a list of things in the notes that the support tech needs to fill in when doing the root cause analysis...
    Friday, November 2, 2012 5:30 PM

Answers

• It should be quite easy - somewhere along these lines:

- Open the Authroing tool
    - Create a new MP to store the customization in
    - Go to the form browser and locate the Problem form
    - Right click the form and select view
    - Click the orange Customize button and select to store the changes in the MP you created earlier
    - Mark the fields in which you want to enter text
    - Go to the detils field and enter your text in the Text property
    - Save MP and Import to SCSM

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se

Monday, November 5, 2012 1:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you can create templates - but you cannot apply it with the SCSM console. Normally within Problems you do not have templates - so this function was not added. I had a disscussion during the dev. of SCSM 2012 with the product team and they told me that Problems are normally not similar - so there is no chance to apply the template within the console.

If you have Orchestrator you could create a problem with predefined description - for example. Also with the SCSM SMLets you could do that.

Peter Forster | MVP Virtual Machine 2002-2011 | Austria | German System Center Blog: www.systemcenterblog.at

• Marked as answer by BuchatechMVP Saturday, November 3, 2012 4:15 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by AudreyPaige Monday, November 5, 2012 1:16 PM
    Friday, November 2, 2012 6:00 PM
  • I am not familiar yet with orchestrator - so I could do this in orchestrator? In 2010 or 2012? How would it be done with SMLets?

It is not that the problem would be similar, but we want to put in a kind of form that they would fill out. So it would be a list of questions, the same for every problem, that the tech would respond to or mark off.

Friday, November 2, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

in Orchestrator you can create any SCSM Object with your predefined values. It's just the question how you trigger the runbook - but yes with SCO you coud achieve your goals.

I haven't done it with the SMLets - as I work a lot with SCO - but here you can get a sample for Incidents - just to get some starting point: http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2011/05/03/using-smlets-beta-3-post-4-using-new-scsmobject-to-create-objects.aspx

Peter Forster | MVP Virtual Machine 2002-2011 | Austria | German System Center Blog: www.systemcenterblog.at

Saturday, November 3, 2012 9:50 AM
  • Hi,

I think that Audrey want to have some predefined information in the Problem form whenever a new Problem request is created. Applying a template won't help in this case as the Problem will have to be saved before you can apply a template with either SMlets or Orchestrator.

The solution would be to modify the form itself in the Authoring Tool and add some predefine texts in the desired fields.

Regards
    //Anders

Monday, November 5, 2012 12:41 PM
  • Hi Anders,

you're right - as he wants to have it in every newly created problem the Authoring Tool is the way to go.

Monday, November 5, 2012 12:46 PM
  • Do you have any examples of doing something like this in the Authoring Tool? I have only used it once before...
    Monday, November 5, 2012 1:17 PM
  • It should be quite easy - somewhere along these lines:

- Open the Authroing tool
    - Create a new MP to store the customization in
    - Go to the form browser and locate the Problem form
    - Right click the form and select view
    - Click the orange Customize button and select to store the changes in the MP you created earlier
    - Mark the fields in which you want to enter text
    - Go to the detils field and enter your text in the Text property
    - Save MP and Import to SCSM

Regards
    //Anders

Monday, November 5, 2012 1:31 PM
  • There is a good blog post available from Marcel how to customize a form with additional fields.

It's for Incident class but works the same for Problem class: Adding a custom field to Incident Forms

Hope this helps. 

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Monday, November 5, 2012 5:14 PM